Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Counting no of lines between two strings in a file Post 302214776 by santyshyam on Tuesday 15th of July 2008 12:11:23 AM
Old 07-15-2008
Hi,
Thankyou............
It Worked fine...............

Thank you very much for this tip...........

Santy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting The Number Of Duplicate Lines In a File

Hello. First time poster here. I have a huge file of IP numbers. I am trying to output only the class b of the IPs and rank them by most common and output the total # of duplicate class b's before the class b. An example is below: 12.107.1.1 12.107.9.54 12.108.3.89 12.109.109.4 12.109.6.3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchtime
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting occurences of different strings in a file

Hi, i'd like to know if the following is possible with a shell script, and can't find the answer in the search. Suppose i have a logfile build like this: # 8 :riuyzp1028 # 38 : riuyzp1028 # 25 : riuyvzp1032 # 30 : nlkljpa0202 # 1 : nlklja0205 # 38 : riuyzp1028 # 25 :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freerider
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines from file UNIX

I have a file which contains data as below: nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/common/index.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/common/index.jsf nbk1wqe... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in each block file

hello im new here so i want to say hi everybody :) i have to write a script and im newbie :/ i hope that in this forum are many ppl who knows subject :) i have hundrets folders. in each folder is a file name trace.txt. each trace.txt has a lot of tracert's results separates with "-----" it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael8484
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting no. of lines and printing it at the start of the file

Dear users, I need to count the number of lines in a simple text file and print the number on the first line of that same file. I know I can count the lines using wc -l file.txt this gives for example 100 file.txt I need the number 100 to be printed at the very top of file.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenjen_mt
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting a string between 2 strings...

I have been working on this for a little while and have been unable to come to a solution. Any help would be appreciated. I am working on a UNIX workstation and have a 30-40 meg text file that I am working with. In my real file there is hundreds of Jobs. Example of input file; misc logging data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ny_evan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines in a file using awk

I want to count lines of a file using AWK (only) and not in the END part like this awk 'END{print FNR}' because I want to use it. Does anyone know of a way? Thanks a lot. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarist684
7 Replies
phones(4)							   File Formats 							 phones(4)

NAME
phones - remote host phone number database SYNOPSIS
/etc/phones DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/phones contains the system-wide private phone numbers for the tip(1) program. /etc/phones is normally unreadable, and so may contain privileged information. The format of /etc/phones is a series of lines of the form: <system-name>[ ]*<phone-number>. The system name is one of those defined in the remote(4) file and the phone number is constructed from [0123456789-=*%]. The `=' and `*' characters are indicators to the auto call units to pause and wait for a second dial tone (when going through an exchange). The `=' is required by the DF02-AC and the `*' is required by the BIZCOMP 1030. Comment lines are lines containing a `#' sign in the first column of the line. Only one phone number per line is permitted. However, if more than one line in the file contains the same system name tip(1) will attempt to dial each one in turn, until it establishes a connection. FILES
/etc/phones SEE ALSO
tip(1), remote(4) SunOS 5.10 14 Jan 1992 phones(4)