Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: string checking
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting string checking Post 302210958 by gaurav123 on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 10:02:10 AM
Old 07-02-2008
try this:

if [[ $str == [0-9][0-9]* ]];then

echo "\$str has numeric value=$str"
else
echo "$str is not numeric"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if string contains integer

G'day guys, first post so be gentle. I need help with some code to work out if a variable (string) contains any integers. The valid variable (string) must contain only letters. Also need to be able to work out if a variable contains only integers. Any help greatly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haz
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking the header and trailer for a given string and if not found, exit out of the

hi, How to check a given file for a string and if it's not found, exit out ofthe script? e.g. a file Test123 is there whose header begins with #bt and trailer begins with #ed. I have to check if the header and trailer matches as above and if not, exit out of the script. How can we do it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for the presence of a string within another string

How to check if a string in contained in another string ? Like Whether the String "brown" is contained in "A quick brown fox jumps over a lazy the dog" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hidnana
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Checking if string has 2 characters and does not contain digits?

How could I check if a string variable contains at least (or only) 2 characters, and check and make sure that the string does not contain any numeric digits?...I need to know how to do this as simple as possible. and I am using the Ksh shell. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string checking

lets think str is a variable...how can i check it is pure alphabetic or not for numeric checking i have used echo $str|grep -v ] but the command echo $str|grep -v ] is not working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking files in folder using starting string for filename

Hi, How do i check if there are any files present in the folder with some specific starting string. For eg :- I have used this where Source_File is filename parameter. if then return 2 fi But in my case the source file name is not constant. The only constant thing is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append string checking other same string?

Hi , I have a file likeA-0044150|ABC/Frito/ A-0044150|GFHU A-0150075|Bud Racing A-0187811|Bud Light A-0187811|RW&B signmaking I Want the o/p likeA-0044150|ABC/Frito/,GFHU A-0150075|Bud Racing A-0187811|Bud Light,RW&B signmaking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
2 Replies

9. Programming

Checking not empty string

I have a string s Are the following equivalent? if ( ! s.empty() ) { } if ( s ) { } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the purpose of "-z" string checking?

what is the purpose of below specially "-z" string checking, how? pid=`ps ax |grep java` if (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies
DWARF_GET_AT_NAME(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      DWARF_GET_AT_NAME(3)

NAME
dwarf_get_ACCESS_name, dwarf_get_AT_name, dwarf_get_ATE_name, dwarf_get_CC_name, dwarf_get_CFA_name, dwarf_get_CHILDREN_name, dwarf_get_DS_name, dwarf_get_DSC_name, dwarf_get_EH_name, dwarf_get_END_name, dwarf_get_FORM_name, dwarf_get_ID_name, dwarf_get_INL_name, dwarf_get_LANG_name, dwarf_get_LNE_name, dwarf_get_LNS_name, dwarf_get_MACINFO_name, dwarf_get_OP_name, dwarf_get_ORD_name, dwarf_get_TAG_name, dwarf_get_VIRTUALITY_name, dwarf_get_VIS_name -- retrieve the symbolic names of DWARF constants LIBRARY
DWARF Access Library (libdwarf, -ldwarf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libdwarf.h> int dwarf_get_ACCESS_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_AT_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_ATE_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_CC_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_CFA_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_CHILDREN_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_DS_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_DSC_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_EH_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_END_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_FORM_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_ID_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_INL_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_LANG_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_LNE_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_LNS_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_MACINFO_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_OP_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_ORD_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_TAG_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_VIRTUALITY_name(unsigned val, char **str); int dwarf_get_VIS_name(unsigned val, char **str); DESCRIPTION
These functions return the symbolic name of a numeric DWARF constant. Argument val specifies the numeric value whose symbolic name is desired. Argument str should point to a location which will hold the returned NUL-terminated string containing the symbolic name of the specified value. The list of functions and the DWARF constants that they accept are: dwarf_get_ACCESS_name() DW_ACCESS_* constants. dwarf_get_AT_name() DW_AT_* constants. dwarf_get_ATE_name() DW_ATE_* constants. dwarf_get_CC_name() DW_CC_* constants. dwarf_get_CFA_name() DW_CFA_* constants. dwarf_get_CHILDREN_name() DW_CHILDREN_* constants. dwarf_get_DS_name() DW_DS_* constants. dwarf_get_DSC_name() DW_DSC_* constants. dwarf_get_EH_name() DW_EH_PE_* constants. dwarf_get_END_name() DW_END_* constants. dwarf_get_FORM_name() DW_FORM_* constants. dwarf_get_ID_name() DW_ID_* constants. dwarf_get_INL_name() DW_INL_* constants. dwarf_get_LANG_name() DW_LANG_* constants. dwarf_get_LNE_name() DW_LNE_* constants. dwarf_get_LNS_name() DW_LNS_* constants. dwarf_get_MACINFO_name() DW_MACINFO_* constants. dwarf_get_OP_name() DW_OP_* constants. dwarf_get_ORD_name() DW_ORD_* constants. dwarf_get_TAG_name() DW_TAG_* constants. dwarf_get_VIRTUALITY_name() DW_VIRTUALITY_* constants. dwarf_get_VIS_name() DW_VIS_* constants. RETURN VALUES
These functions return DW_DLV_OK on success. If the DWARF constant denoted by argument val is not recognized, these function return DW_DLV_NO_ENTRY. SEE ALSO
dwarf(3) BSD
April 22, 2011 BSD