Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX and Linux RSS News Investigating strange dialup activity with Wireshark Post 302210616 by Linux Bot on Tuesday 1st of July 2008 11:20:07 AM
Old 07-01-2008
Investigating strange dialup activity with Wireshark

Tue, 01 Jul 2008 15:00:00 GMT
A controlled dial-on-demand router is a convenient tool. An uncontrolled dial-on-demand router is not. The Wireshark network protocol analyzer helped me track down the cause of some strange and unwanted dialup connections.

Source...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix based news servers +dialup numbers

Is there a website that lists telephone numbers for dialup connection to unix based servers? There used to be such a site but can't find it now. What I need is numbers, which my ISP supports, that I can use to access a news server, unix-based. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robfo
1 Replies

2. SCO

FTP with Dialup

I wanted to know how if there is anyway one can copy a file through a dialup modem connection using ftp or any other command on sco unix. I am connecting from a remote terminal to a SCO server and want to download a file from the server. Any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yus
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Kermit- dialup and network connection

hi all, Using kermit, i made serial dialup connetion between two PCs through telephone line and transfered files trough this line. The code appears as like this, set modem type generic #Setting the modem type. set modem data-compression on #Data compression on to speed up transfer.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Investigating web pages in awk

hello. i want to make an awk script to search an html file and output all the links (e.g .html, .htm, .jpg, .doc, .pdf, etc..) inside it. also, i want the links that will be output to be split into 3 groups (separated by an empty line), the first group with links to other webpages (.html .htm etc),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adpe
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

FTP logfile shows strange activity at login

Has anyone seen or know what is causing this FTP log file line-item? 3 times when I successfully logged into FTP today, the log file shows a server response of a wrong password (530) to an IP address that is not mine... Below are FTP Log-file entries. I have removed my username & IP address: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bricolage
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to browse internet in linux (railwire dialup connection)

Hi Gurus, Good morning . I have a railwire internet connection(dial up).I am able to access internet in windows xp .but in windows xp every time i restart my pc i have to manually right click the "railwire"icon and then click "connect, after this i am just getting connected to the internet. But... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay.login
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Tip: How to Configure PPP for dialup for a single machine?

I shall explain how to setup PPP on your Linux machine, so that you can connect to the Internet using an external modem and a Dialup connection. This article explains the setup for the superuser alone (Not normal users).My Setup : My external modem (56kbps) is connected to the Serial Port :... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EliteHussar
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange system activity no matter what I try

When I choose to encrypt my drive during a Linux install, it encryps it, but I receive errors in dmesg and in ~/.xsessions-errors during use. The first error is in dmesg where it sometimes shows errors writing to the encypted device. The second error is in ~/.xsessions-errors with an error about... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justgoogleit
0 Replies
dialups(4)							   File Formats 							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups - list of terminal devices requiring a dial-up password SYNOPSIS
/etc/dialups DESCRIPTION
dialups is an ASCII file which contains a list of terminal devices that require a dial-up password. A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct password must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. The set of ports that require a dial-up password are listed in the dialups file. Each entry in the dialups file is a single line of the form: terminal-device where terminal-device The full path name of the terminal device that will require a dial-up password for users accessing the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The dialups file should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample dialups file. Here is a sample dialups file: /dev/term/a /dev/term/b /dev/term/c FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords SEE ALSO
d_passwd(4) SunOS 5.10 4 May 1994 dialups(4)