Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris patch update and break mirror Post 302208707 by itik on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 03:39:23 PM
Old 06-24-2008
patch update and break mirror

Hi All,

How do you know if you need to break the mirror on solaris 8 patch update?

Here's the patch example, 117350-54. On the site, it's just a low type update and not a medium or critical.

Is breaking a mirror a best practice only or really a requirement to some patch?

Thanks,
itik

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Break mirror so that it can be used later

Hello again, We need to install patches to HP-UX B.11.11 but would like to break the mirror it has (with out damaging it) so that in case of failure we can use this a meassure procedure. Any ideas on how to do this Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQG
2 Replies

2. Solaris

patch update instructions

Hi All, I need to update my solaris with a particular patch. When reading the instruction on the sun web site, I got this: Installation Requirements: Reboot immediately after installing this patch on an active boot environment to bring the system to a consistent state. An alternative may... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
8 Replies

3. Solaris

break solaris mirror

Hi All, How do I break the solaris 8 mirror? And how do I make sure I will point the first hd mirror on reboot. If the first break mirror won't boot. How do I make the copy mirror to boot? Thanks in advance, itik (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

verify patch update

Hi All, If I need to verify my solaris 8 with patch 110910-03 and I query the server below: #showrev -p | grep 'Patch: 110910-' Patch: 110910-01 Obsoletes: Requires: Incompatibles: Packages: SUNWcsu Do I still need to apply the patch if the older 110910-01 patch exist? Please... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. Linux

kernel patch update how to

Hi All, I need to update my redhatas4 kernel with kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL.src.rpm. When I run this # rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.9-67.0.20.EL.src.rpm warning: user brewbuilder does not exist - using root warning: group brewbuilder does not exist - using root warning: user brewbuilder does... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Update Solaris patch

Hi All I had update the solaris version, and now wish to update the patch. but when i check my patch version, i cant find any version for that. any idea? root@leo # showrev Hostname: leo Hostid: 839b58a3 Release: 5.10 Kernel architecture: sun4u Application architecture: sparc... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris Volume Manager: Break Mirror and use to make a 2nd machine

Hello: I have a machine built on 2 drives and mirrors have been created to a second set of 2 drives (4 total) on the same platform. SVM. Might anyone provide guidance to create a second machine by breaking the mirrored set, moving the two mirrors (2) to another machine (same platform type),... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 4dailyrunner
1 Replies

8. Linux

LVM - break mirror taking out orignal copy

Hi Guys, I have a mirrored LVM volume, and wish to break the mirror leaving only copy1 (effectively removing copy 0). Here's the config: # lvs -a -o +devices lvdata vg01 mwi-ao 2.19T lvdata_mlog 100.00 lvdata_mimage_0(0),lvdata_mimage_1(0) vg01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
0 Replies

9. AIX

AIX break rootvg mirror from system down

Hello, aix 5.2, mirrored rootvg on hdisk0 and hdisk1. hdisk0 is dead. I can boot to cd, into sms, into maintenance mode. I can fsck all the various partitions on hdisk1 (the hd4 hd2 hd3, etc...) all is fine. But without the hdisk0 part of the mirror I cannot get the system to boot. ystem hangs on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshapiro
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Patch PHKL_31216 and PHCO_30698 HP-UX 11.11 for replace a LVM mirror boot disk

Hi, I have old server hp rp 3440 hp-ux 11.11. One mirrored disk is faulty. I need spesial patch PHKL_31216 and PHCO_30698, which give to correctly remove disk. Unfortunately I don't have access to hp support site. Please help me find it patch. regards,Andre (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andre9
0 Replies
patch-metamail(1)					      General Commands Manual						 patch-metamail(1)

NAME
patch-metamail - Install a patch to the latest metamail release SYNOPSIS
patch-metamail source-tree-root patch-number [hostname [dirname [prefix]]] DESCRIPTION
The patch-metamail program will attempt to retreive a patch file for the metamail distribution, using anonymous ftp to a trusted server, and then install that patch in your local copy of the distribution. The first two arguments, which are required, are the root directory of your local copy of the metamail source directory, and the patch num- ber. The former is site-dependent, the latter is patch-dependent. In general, patch-metamail is intended to be called via metamail, with a mailcap entry like the following: application/x-metamail-patch;patch-metamail source-tree-root %{patchnumber}; needsterminal The default values for the host to ftp to, the directory name to retrieve the file from, and the patch file name prefix are hard-wired to thumper.bellcore.com, pub/nsb, and "mm.patch.". While you can override these on the command line, it would be a big mistake to make these parameterized based on the contents of a mail message, because then someone could spoof you into retrieving a new version of metamail with a Trojan horse from their site! However, as long as you retain control over what host and directory the patches are retrieved from, this program is reasonably safe (as safe as the host you're depending on, anyway). SEE ALSO
metamail(1) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1991 Bell Communications Research, Inc. (Bellcore) Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this material for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies, and that the name of Bellcore not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to this material without the specific, prior written permission of an authorized representative of Bellcore. BELLCORE MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR SUITABILITY OF THIS MATERIAL FOR ANY PURPOSE. IT IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES. AUTHOR
Nathaniel S. Borenstein, Bellcore Release 1 patch-metamail(1)