Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing column of variable length anf fixed width file Post 302208644 by manneni prakash on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 01:22:39 PM
Old 06-24-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$2;next}a[$1]{print $1, $2, a[$1]}' File2 File1

Regards
Thanks for the reply. I have tried this but when Iam trying to use awk its not working .... but nawk works instead. Is there any alternative thing where I can write a shell scripting to replace Place column of variable length file with Country column of fixed length file. Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file

Hi, I have two files. File1: File1 contains two fixed width columns ID of 15 characters length and Name is of 100 characters length. ID Name 1-43<<11 spaces>>Swapna<<94 spaces>> 1-234<<10 spaces>>Mani<<96 spaces>> 1-3456<<9 spaces>>Kapil<<95 spaces>> File2: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicates based on a column in fixed width file

Hi, How to output the duplicate record to another file. We say the record is duplicate based on a column whose position is from 2 and its length is 11 characters. The file is a fixed width file. ex of Record: DTYU12333567opert tjhi kkklTRG9012 The data in bold is the key on which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a fixed width text file into several ones based on a column value?

Hi, I have a fixed width text file without any header row. One of the columns contains a date in YYYYMMDD format. If the original file contains 3 dates, I want my shell script to split the file into 3 small files with data for each date. I am a newbie and need help doing this. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanja_trinanja
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing two fixed width file

Hi Guys I am checking the treads to get the answer but i am not able to get the answer for my question. I have two files. First file is a pattern file and the second file is the file i want to search in it. Output will be the lines from file2. File1: P2797f12af 44751228... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshul_er
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To replace the value of the column in a fixed width file

I have a fixed with file with header & trailer length having the same length of the detail record file. The details record length of this file is 24, for Header and Trailer the records will be padded with spaces to match the record length of the file Currently I am adding 3 spaces in header... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print column details from fixed width file using awk command

hi, i have a fixed width file with multiple columns and need to print data using awk command. i use: awk -F "|" '($5 == BH) {print $1,$2,$3}' <non_AIM target>.txt for a delimiter file. but now i have a fixed width file like below: 7518 8269511BH 20141224951050N8262 11148 8269511BH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcdg859
5 Replies
fold(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   fold(1)

NAME
fold - fold long lines for finite width output device SYNOPSIS
width] [file ...] Obsolete form: width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a filter that folds the contents of the specified files, breaking the lines to have a maximum of width column positions (or bytes, if the option is specified). The command breaks lines by inserting a newline character so that each output line is the maximum width possible that does not exceed the specified number of column positions (or bytes). A line cannot be broken in the middle of a char- acter. If no files are specified or if a file name of is specified, the standard input is used. The command is often used to send text files to line printers that truncate, rather than fold, lines wider than the printer is able to print. If the backspace, tab, or carriage-return characters are encountered in the input, and the option is not specified, they are treated spe- cially as follows: Backspace The current count of line width is decremented by one, although the count never becomes negative. Thus, the char- acter sequence character-backspace-character counts as using one column position, assuming both characters each occupy a single column position. does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any backspace character. Tab Each tab character encountered advances the column position pointer to the next tab stop. Tab stops are set 8 col- umns apart at column positions 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, etc. Carriage-return The current count of line width is set to zero. does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any carriage-return character. Note that may affect any underlining that is present. Options The command recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Count width in bytes rather than in column positions. Break the line on the last blank character found before the specified number of column positions (or bytes). If none are found, break the line at the specified line length. Specify the maximum line length, in column positions (or bytes if is specified). The default value is 80. width should be a multiple of 8 if tabs are present, or the tabs should be expanded using before processing by (see expand(1)). The option is obsolescent and may be removed in a future release. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. SEE ALSO
expand(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fold(1)