Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file Post 302208557 by Franklin52 on Tuesday 24th of June 2008 07:56:06 AM
Old 06-24-2008
Try this:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]=$2;next}{print $1, a[$1]}' File1 File2

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing column of variable length anf fixed width file

Hi, I have two input files. File1: ID Name Place 1-234~name1~Newyork 1-34~name2~Boston 1-2345~name3~Hungary File1 is a variable length file where each column is seperated by delimitter "~". File2: ID Country 1-34<<11 SPACES>>USA<<7 spaces>> 1-234<<10 SPACES>>UK<<8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Fixed Width Columns

Hi everyone, I have been working on a pretty laborious shellscript (with bash) the last couple weeks that parses my firewall policies (from a Juniper) for me and creates a nifty little columned output. It does so using awk on a line by line basis to pull out the appropriate pieces of each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cixelsyd
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to parse fixed-width columns which may include empty fields?

I am trying to selectively display several columns from a db2 query, which gives me a fixed-width output (partial output listed here): --------- -------------------------- ------------ ------ 000 0000000000198012 702 29 000 0000000000198013 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsh79
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates in fixed width file which has multiple key columns

Hi All , I have a requirement where I need to remove duplicates from a fixed width file which has multiple key columns .Also , need to capture the duplicate records into another file . File has 8 columns. Key columns are col1 and col2. Col1 has the length of 8 col 2 has the length of 3. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saj
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fixed length file extracting values in columns

How do I extract values in a few columns in a row of a fixed length file? If there are 8 columns and I need to extract values of 2nd,4th and 6 th columns, how do i do that? I used cut command, this I used only for one column. How do I do it more than one column? The below command will give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princetd001
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Length of a fixed width file

I have a fixed width file of length 53. when is try to get the lengh of the record of that file i get 2 different answers. awk '{print length;exit}' <File_name> The above code gives me length 50. wc -L <File_name> The above code gives me length 53. Please clarify on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
gfs_tool(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       gfs_tool(8)

NAME
gfs_tool - interface to gfs ioctl calls SYNOPSIS
gfs_tool COMMAND [OPTION] [PARAMETERS ...] DESCRIPTION
gfs_tool is an interface to a variety of the GFS ioctl calls. Specifying gfs_tool -h prints gfs_tool command line usage (help). Specifying gfs_tool -V prints the gfs_tool version information. COMMANDS
clearflag Flag File1 File2 ... Clear an attribute flag on a file. counters MountPoint [-c] [-i interval] Print out statistics about a filesystem. If -c is specified, gfs_tool keeps running printing out the statistics once per second or, if specified, the interval given with the -i option, in seconds. df MountPoint [-k]|[-H] Print out a space usage summary of a given filesystem. The information printed is more detailed than a standard "df". If -k is specified, the output is given in kilobytes (KB). If -H is specified, the output is given in human readable format (similar to df -h). If neither -k nor -H are specified, the output is given in file system blocks. freeze MountPoint Freeze (quiesce) a GFS cluster. getsb MountPoint Print out the superblock of a mounted filesystem. gettune MountPoint Print out the current values of the tuning parameters in a running filesystem. jindex MountPoint Print out the journal index of a mounted filesystem. layout File [buffersize] Print out on-disk layout information about a file or directory. Buffersize is the size of the buffer (in bytes) that gfs_tool allo- cates to store the file's metadata during processing. It defaults to 4194304 bytes. If you are printing a very big directory you may need to specify a bigger size. list List the currently mounted GFS filesystems. Each line represents a filesystem. The columns represent (in order): 1) A number that is a cookie that represents the mounted filesystem. 2) The name of the device that holds the filesystem (well, the name as the Linux kernel knows it). 3) The lock table field that the filesystem was mounted with. lockdump MountPoint [buffersize] Print out information about the locks this machine holds for a given filesystem. Buffersize is the size of the buffer (in bytes) that gfs_tool allocates to store the lock data during processing. It defaults to 4194304 bytes. margs arguments This loads arguments into the module what will override the mount options passed with the -o field on the next mount. See mount.gfs(8). reclaim File Returns unused on-disk metadata blocks to free blocks. rindex MountPoint Print out the resource group index of a mounted filesystem. quota MountPoint Print out the quota file of a mounted filesystem. Also see the "gfs_quota list" command. sb device proto [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the name of the locking protocol in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. sb device table [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the name of the locking table in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. sb device ondisk [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the ondisk format number in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. No one should have to use this. sb device multihost [newvalue] View (and possibly replace) the multihost format number in the file system superblock. The file system shouldn't be mounted by any client when you do this. No one should have to use this. sb device all Print out the superblock. setflag Flag File1 File2 ... Set an attribute flag on a file. There are four currently supported flags. They are jdata, directio, inherit_jdata, and inherit_directio. The jdata flag causes all the data written to a regular file to be journaled. The jdata flag can only be set (or cleared) if the file is zero length. The directio flag causes all I/O to a regular file to be Direct I/O, even if the O_DIRECT flag isn't used on the open() command. The inherit_jdata flag is set on a directory. It causes all new regular files created in that directory automatically inherit the jdata flag. The inherit_jdata is also inherited by any new subdirectories created in that directory. The inherit_directio flag is set on a directory. It causes all new regular files created in that directory automatically inherit the directio flag. The inherit_directio is also inherited by any new subdirectories created in that directory. settune MountPoint parameter newvalue Set the value of tuning parameter. Use gettune for a listing of tunable parameters. shrink MountPoint Causes any unused inodes to be thrown out of memory. stat File Print out extended stat information about a file. unfreeze MountPoint Unfreeze a GFS cluster. version Print out the version of GFS that this program goes with. withdraw MountPoint Cause GFS to abnormally shutdown a given filesystem on this node. gfs_tool(8)