Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Setting up a PXE Boot Server
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Setting up a PXE Boot Server Post 302207755 by ashayh on Friday 20th of June 2008 05:07:24 PM
Old 06-20-2008
Is this on LInux?

Are you using xinetd? If so, what are the "server args" for /etc/xinetd.d/tftp ?

If not, what is the "root" of the PXE server?

Is there a file called pxelinux.0 there?

And 192.168.0.6 is the DHCP server and is also the PXE server?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting num lock on at boot up

Once I knew how to set up a unix file so that the num lock would automatically be on after booting up. How exactly is that done? Unix has final control on the setting of the num lock from off or on to on at the end of the boot up process. Any help will be appreciated, especially if detailed. Oh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jddxxx
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

PXE boot port issue

Hi,all: I want to boot an IA unix box from network, I am sure I set the DHCP and boot server, but it still failed ! It says : Client MAC Address: 00 18 FE 28 91 82 .....- PXE-E16: Valid PXE offer not received. Load of Core LAN Gb A failed: Not Found I use the nettl command to trace the UDP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluepluto
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is PXE boot bare-metal

hi members i am reading RHEL and i am unable to under stand about PXE boot and bare metal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wagmare
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem setting up dual boot

Hi, I am trying to set up a dual boot system with Red Hat EL 5.2 and Windows XP Pro. I have a separate disk for each OS. Grub is on the same disk as redhat(the primary disk). I know that Windows is installed correctly because if I force a load on the secondary disk Windows loads correctly.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adawg1217
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

PXE diskless boot fails

Hi, I am trying to setup a server for a diskless boot of a computer class (with ubuntu) I followed the guidelines in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DisklessUbuntuHowto I have two computers: one is the server I installed and the other is my macbook on which I run a virtual machine... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotamhc
8 Replies

6. Boot Loaders

PXE boot not taking the init= option

Hi Experts, I am doing PXE boot for my GNU/Linux device and pxelinux.0 loads the kernel as well as initrd images I have mentioned in the config file but it looks like it is not considering the init= option. Instead it starts the default INIT program. I wanted my customized init program to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
3 Replies

7. Solaris

PXE boot problems in Solaris 10

Hi folks, I was trying to setup Network based NFS installation with PXE. I'm using virtual box for this purpose. I have one redhat (DHCP) server and Solaris 10 (Install server - Source) and on the other one am trying to install solaris using PXE. As in, dhcp address and boot file can be fetched... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaytrendz
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Interactive PXE Boot Menu

I have been asked to modify our PXE server such that there will be only one entry in the pxelinux.cfg/default file, where the same kernel and initrd.img will be used regardless of what operating system is to be installed, and the user will type in the path to the kickstart file that will be used. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ceb
7 Replies

9. Red Hat

pxe boot server

Hi Hoping someone can help ove setup a pxe/dhcp boot server for auto installs on centos My server seems to be providing dhcp fine but the installation fails to progress when it reaches the pxe boot menu. I make my selection and nothing happens. I am serving the media via http from the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duckeggs01
3 Replies

10. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
PXEBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						PXEBOOT(8)

NAME
pxeboot -- Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) bootloader DESCRIPTION
The pxeboot bootloader is a modified version of the system third-stage bootstrap loader(8) configured to run under Intel's Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) system. PXE is a form of smart boot ROM, built into Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 and 3Com 3c905c Ethernet cards, and Ether- net-equipped Intel motherboards. PXE supports DHCP configuration and provides low-level NIC access services. The pxeboot bootloader retrieves the kernel, modules, and other files either via NFS over UDP or by TFTP, selectable through compile-time options. In combination with a memory file system image or NFS-mounted root file system, pxeboot allows for easy, EEPROM-burner free construction of diskless machines. The pxeboot binary is loaded just like any other boot file, by specifying it in the DHCP server's configuration file. Below is a sample con- figuration for the ISC DHCP v2 server: option domain-name "example.com"; option routers 10.0.0.1; option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0; option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255; option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1; server-name "DHCPserver"; server-identifier 10.0.0.1; default-lease-time 120; max-lease-time 120; subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { filename "pxeboot"; range 10.0.0.10 10.0.0.254; } pxeboot recognizes next-server and option root-path directives as the server and path to NFS mount for file requests, respectively, or the server to make TFTP requests to. Note that pxeboot expects to fetch /boot/loader.rc from the specified server before loading any other files. In all other respects, pxeboot acts just like loader(8). As PXE is still in its infancy, some firmware versions may not work properly. The pxeboot bootloader has been extensively tested on version 0.99 of Intel firmware; pre-release versions of the newer 2.0 firmware are known to have problems. Check with the device's manufacturer for their latest stable release. For further information on Intel's PXE specifications and Wired for Management (WfM) systems, see http://www.intel.com/design/archives/wfm/. SEE ALSO
loader(8) HISTORY
The pxeboot bootloader first appeared in FreeBSD 4.1. AUTHORS
The pxeboot bootloader was written by John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> and Paul Saab <ps@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Doug White <dwhite@FreeBSD.org>. BSD
May 1, 2000 BSD