Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sending email attachments
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sending email attachments Post 302202805 by venush on Thursday 5th of June 2008 05:50:42 PM
Old 06-05-2008
Sending email attachments

Hello,
I've search the forum, but I cannot find an answer to my specific question. I'm trying to send some files to my professor. Upon his request, I used the following:

tar -cvf vh.tar vh_part1.c vh_part2.c vh_part3.c vh_part4.c vh_sample_run15.txt uuencode vh.tar vh.tar > proj1 mail xxx@xxx.edu < proj1

I get the following error message:
"No such file or directory".

So, instead of using proj1 as the redirect, I used one of my directories--which obviously didn't work. I'm at an impasse...I was wondering if anyone here could assist. He insists this is correct. I've tried it in both my home directory and the directory that actually contains the vh_partX.c files. Thanks for any info,

Venus

Last edited by venush; 06-05-2008 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: adding prof response

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. How do I send email?

sending files as attachments

How do I send a file as an attachment on a Unix system (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending files as attachments

How do I send a file as an attachment on a Unix system (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sending attachments via unix

Hi, I need to send a mail attachment from the UNIX commandline. I'm using Tru64 and the mail client thats supposed receive the attached file (an excel sheet) is Lotus Notes. Can anybody help me out? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhishek Ghose
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending attachments using email through shell script

Hi all, I have written a shell script which sends emails with attachments to our clients. All our attachments are simple flat files (.txt format). The script is working fine and sending the attachments to the mail-ids except that, when i am sending the attachments to non-outlook users (Like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: symhonian
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sending attachments in mail

Hi , i have tried the following command to send an email with an attachment its working fine but i am getting mail with the embeded content inside the mail that too truncated. i wanted it as an attachment. /usr/lib/sendmail -F "MAC SIA" address "rajendra@abc.com.sg" -t <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendragora
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending multiple attachments

Hi people, I am new to this forums. I have a quick question I hope one of you could help me with. I am writing a script to send attachments via email. However I am having trouble when trying to send multiple attachments. Here is the code I am using: send_mail() { uuencode $TMP $TMP1 > $TMP1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deo2k8
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Sending Unix files as attachments in an email

Hi, I am executing the following command in order to send a file as an attachment: mailx -s "Subject" emailID@xyz.com < Testfile.txt Instead of attaching the file Testfile.txt, it is writing the contents of the file in the email message body. Please advise on how I can send the file as an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sangharsh
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending attachments via unix

OS Linux....Just curious as to why this is not working... uuencode test.txt "test.xls"|mailx -r xxx@server.com -s "validation report" emailrecipient1,emailrecipient2 Please help....Any other options do we need to use?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending an email with a body and attachments using uuencode

Hi, Im having a bit of an issue with using the uuencode command and sending out an email. My aim is to send an email out which has a body and also have attachments. Currently I can either get one or the other and not both on the same email. uuencode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 02JayJay02
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx sending attachments to personal email, but not SharePoint?

Hello! I am writing a KornShell script that (in addition to other things) sends a file from a Unix directory to a SharePoint directory. However when executing the script there is no sign of the file on the SharePoint. I have tested the script using my personal email as the destination and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattkoz
3 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)