Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compare variable against regular expression? Post 302197975 by finalight on Thursday 22nd of May 2008 03:29:48 AM
Old 05-22-2008
is it possible to just directly compare regex in the if-else statement?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression using a variable

hello, I use AIX with ISM PILOT, I want to match something with a varible like this : $variable = 10 #this variable is the number of the job "$variable STARTED" # the pattern how can use this variable to match it with the word STARTED Tanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: barribar
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk's variable in regular expression

Anyone know how I will use awk's variable in a regular expression? This line of code of mine is working, the value PREMS should be a variable: awk '$1 ~ /PREMS/ { if(length(appldata)+2 >= length($1)) print $0; }' appldata=$APPLDATA /tmp/file.tmp The value of APPLDATA variable is PREMS. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - compare $0 to regular expression + variable

Hi, I have this script: awk -v va=45 '$0~va{print}' flo2 That returns: "4526745 1234 " (this is the only line of the file "flo2". However, I would like to get "va" to match the begining of the line, so that is "va" is different than 45 (eg. 67, 12 ...) I would not have any output. That... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variable to Regular Expression

Hi All, Below is a sample code: print "Enter the Name: "; my $Name = <>; print "Word is $Name"; open (FH,"AIDNameList.txt"); while (<FH>) { my $line; print "Word is $Name"; for $line(<FH>)... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare a file name with a regular expression !!

Hi, I need to compare file names in a folder with several strings(which are in regular expression format): For example: there is a file "objectMyHistoryBook" and there are several strings to compare this file name with: objectMyMaths*, objectMyEnglish*, objectMyHistory*,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucifer_123
2 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with variable and regular expression

i have a command line like this in csh script grep -i "$argv$" which i wanted to select the line ending with string provided as argument but it couldn't interpret the '$' (ending with).. any help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare files with regular expression

Readers, Reading a previous post about comparing files using awk ('awk-compare-2-columns-2-files-output-whole-line', https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/168432-awk-compare-2-columns-2-files-output-whole-line.html), it is possible to adjust this, so that regular expression can be used... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxr
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression as a variable

I'm trying to use a series of regular expressions as variables but can't get it to behave properly. You can see below what I'm trying to do. Here with lowercase a-z and the same with uppercase, numbers 0-9 and again with a set of special characters, without having to type out every single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store regular expression in a variable?

Hi, Im facing a weird behavior storing regular expression in a vaiable. Let us consider >file_name=CTP02_*.tar when I echo the above variable its displaying below which is file CTP02_*tar but when I create a file with name CTP02_1234.tar, and when I echo $file_name its showing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdineshredy
3 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)