Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU Emacs Help
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications GNU Emacs Help Post 302197759 by led3234 on Wednesday 21st of May 2008 03:56:39 PM
Old 05-21-2008
Question GNU Emacs Help

Hey everybody!

Not sure if this goes here, but I think it's the best fit.

I was just wondering, how do I use a compiler from Emacs?

Also, how do I turn syntax highlighting on?

Thanks in advance!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xemacs and emacs

Hi guys What is the difference between Xemacs and emacs. I assumed Xemacs runs only in X11. What about in Linux on KDE? Am I running Xemacs or emacs. Well it says emacs though. What is the advantage of one over other? What can I run on OS X ? SS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurya_s
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on EMACS

Any one has a good documentation on How To Use EMACs editor?? Thanks Ven :eek: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VENC22
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accent in emacs

Hello, I try to insert charcheters with accent with emacs. It doesn't work. How can I do ? Thank you in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annemar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Emacs

could someone please tell me how do I work emacs on unix?? how do you input the command and open up files and edit stuff. I know M-x info will lauch the info viewer, C-x u is undo, M-x spell-region run a spell check but when i use some of these command on emacs in Unix, I'm getting no results or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starwind4
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

characters in emacs

How do you change characters in emacs? for example, I would like my files to appear written in "Arial" or "Thaoma".. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vero_81
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Help configuring emacs

Hi, I am using emacs now after some months with vim (nothing agains vim, in fact I love it, but everyone around me is using emacs and xemacs) and I need some configuration help. How may I configure emacs to look like code examples in this page which is good for my eye. Thanks in advance, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to compile in Emacs

I'm trying to compile two files in Emacs (guess.cpp and yesno.cpp). So I open up Emacs (the text version) and give the command M-x and then I try to type in "g++ -o asst guess.cpp yesno.cpp". But everytime after I type "g++" and try to do a space after that, it says and wont let me type a space? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blackvelvet
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

9. AIX

Emacs on AIX 7.2

After I had successfully installed bash I wanted to install emacs. I downloaded the packages from IBM (emacs, emacs-nox, and emacs-X11), but I could not install emacs-X11. It needs libjpeg and libtiff, but I couldn't install both libs. Error messages: file /opt/freeware/64 from install of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BuSchu
2 Replies
EMACSCLIENT(1)						      General Commands Manual						    EMACSCLIENT(1)

NAME
emacsclient - tells a running Emacs to visit a file SYNOPSIS
emacsclient [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the emacsclient command. Full documentation is available in the GNU Info format; see below. This man- ual page was originally written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution, but is not specific to that system. emacsclient works in conjunction with the built-in Emacs server. You can either call emacsclient directly or let other programs run it for you when necessary. On GNU and Unix systems many programs con- sult the environment variable EDITOR (sometimes also VISUAL) to obtain the command used for editing. Thus, setting this environment vari- able to 'emacsclient' will allow these programs to use an already running Emacs for editing. Other operating systems might have their own methods for defining the default editor. For emacsclient to work, you need an already running Emacs with a server. Within Emacs, call the functions `server-start' or `server- mode'. (Your `.emacs' file can do this automatically if you add either `(server-start)' or `(server-mode 1)' to it.) When you've finished editing the buffer, type `C-x #' (`server-edit'). This saves the file and sends a message back to the `emacsclient' program telling it to exit. The programs that use `EDITOR' wait for the "editor" (actually, `emacsclient') to exit. `C-x #' also checks for other pending external requests to edit various files, and selects the next such file. If you set the variable `server-window' to a window or a frame, `C-x #' displays the server buffer in that window or in that frame. OPTIONS
The programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -nw, -t, --tty open a new Emacs frame on the current terminal -c, --create-frame create a new frame instead of trying to use the current Emacs frame -e, --eval do not visit files but instead evaluate the arguments as Emacs Lisp expressions. -n, --no-wait returns immediately without waiting for you to "finish" the buffer in Emacs. -s, --socket-name=FILENAME use socket named FILENAME for communication. -f, --server-file=FILENAME use TCP configuration file FILENAME for communication. This can also be specified via the `EMACS_SERVER_FILE' environment variable. -a, --alternate-editor=EDITOR if the Emacs server is not running, run the specified editor instead. This can also be specified via the `ALTERNATE_EDITOR' envi- ronment variable. If the value of EDITOR is the empty string, then Emacs is started in daemon mode and emacsclient will try to con- nect to it. -d, --display=DISPLAY tell the server to display the files on the given display. -V, --version print version information and exit -H, --help print this usage information message and exit SEE ALSO
The program is documented fully in Using Emacs as a Server available via the Info system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYING
This manual page is in the public domain. EMACSCLIENT(1)