Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get the path of a file in UNIX? Post 302194040 by smr_rashmy on Monday 12th of May 2008 06:23:56 AM
Old 05-12-2008
I have little confused with find command.

i used the find command. but not getting th expected result.

see i am currently in the directory dir1.
and i have some directories inside teh dir1

like,

dir1/dir11
dir1/dir12/dir121
dir1.dir13/dir131/dir1311 etc,

if i have to search for a file with the criteria "*note*"
the find command should give me the details like,

dir1/dir11/testnote.txt
dir1/dir13/dir131/dir1311/testnote1.txt

if those paths contain the files.

can any one please give the command?

Thanks,
- Rashmy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi - replacing a relative path with absolute path in a file

Hi, I have a file with about 60 lines of path: app-defaults/boxXYZ....... I want to change this to /my/path/goes/here/app-defaults/boxXYZ, but of course vi doesn't like the regualr :s/old/new/ command. Is there any other quick way to do this? Thanks ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yinzer955i
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find complete path of a file in unix

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to capture... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find complete path of a file in unix

hi experts(novice people can stay away as it is no child's game), i am developing a script which works like recycle bin of windows. the problem i am facing is that when ever i am trying to delete a file which is situated in parent directory or parent's parent directory i am unable to capture... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yahoo!
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find unix path to a file?

I know this is very newbie ... but I need help determining the proper file path to file...Have no idea how to do this I'm on a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard thanks very much (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmarc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve a file from specific path using unix script?

Hi i'm new to shell script, i want to get the filename from specific location which i mentioned in my script. The scirpt should read the filename exactly using the following command "ls -ltr | tail -1". Could someone show me on this. Below is my script #!/bin/ksh PATH= /usr/ if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fresher
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generalising UNIX file path

There's a Unix configuration file that needs to be executed at the start of my script The location of the file is /Dstage/AA_INTERFACES/SYSTEM_FILES/MISC/ Now the script has to be deployed into a new UAT server for testing where the location above has been change to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help on moving .csv file from UNIX to windows file path

Need help on moving .csv file from unix to windows file path. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to window c: shared drive

Hi Guys, I need to move myfile.csv file from unix path(\oracle_home) to window c:\ shared drive h:\. Thanks in advance! Regards, Lakshman (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert Relative path to Absolute path, without changing directory to the file location.

Hello, I am creating a file with all the source folders included in my git branch, when i grep for the used source, i found source included as relative path instead of absolute path, how can convert relative path to absolute path without changing directory to that folder and using readlink -f ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekhar419
4 Replies
DIRNAME(1)							   User Commands							DIRNAME(1)

NAME
dirname - strip last component from file name SYNOPSIS
dirname [OPTION] NAME... DESCRIPTION
Output each NAME with its last non-slash component and trailing slashes removed; if NAME contains no /'s, output '.' (meaning the current directory). -z, --zero separate output with NUL rather than newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit EXAMPLES
dirname /usr/bin/ -> "/usr" dirname dir1/str dir2/str -> "dir1" followed by "dir2" dirname stdio.h -> "." GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report dirname translation bugs to <http://translationpro- ject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
basename(1), readlink(1) The full documentation for dirname is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and dirname programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'dirname invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 DIRNAME(1)