Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cut in sed/awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cut in sed/awk Post 302193950 by penchal_boddu on Monday 12th of May 2008 12:18:49 AM
Old 05-12-2008
Using Sed,

echo "Testing" | sed 's#^\(...\)\(.*\)#\1#g'

Output
Tes

Thanks
Penchal

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut vs. sed vs. awk ?

hi again...need new help guys:p the file contains following infos... users/abc/bla1.exe newusers/defgh/ik/albg2.exe users2/opww/ertz/qqwertzu/rwerwew.exe how to get the file content into... users/abc/ newusers/defgh/ik/ users2/opww/ertz/qqwertzu/ with... you can erase the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: svennie
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk,sed or cut problem

Good afternoon, Sir's, I would like to seek your assistance regarding on this matter. $cat file1 111 aaaa bbb aass aaa files file1 temp temp1 pix 222 11 22 1 33 44 desired output: aaaa bbb aass files file1 temp1 222 11 22 1 33 44 thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Awk Cut Grep Combination Help ?

I have been reading for a few hours trying to educate myself enough to accomplish this task, so please know I have performed some research. Unfortunately, I am not a *NIX scripting expert, or a coder. I come from a network background instead. SO, here is my desired outcome. I have some Cisco... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbzer0
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or awk cut all lines after word

Hi, sorry for newbie question :confused: can't find how to cut ? from 1000 2000 word some text1.... 100 200 300 word some text2.... 10 20 30 abc word some text3.... to some text1.... some text2.... some text3.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk/sed solution for grep,cut

Hi, From the file "example" with lines like below, I need the int value associated with ENG , i.e, 123 SUB: ENG123, GROUP 1 SUB: HIS124, GROUP 1 .. .. Normally , i do grep ENG example | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | cut -c 4-6 Is it possible to do it in simpler way using awk/sed ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring using cut/awk/sed

Hi Gurus,I have a seemingly simple problem but struggling with it.It is as follows : I/p string - ABCDEFGHIJ20100909.txt desired o/p - AB,DEF,20100909,ABCDEFGHIJ20100909.txt How to achieve it ?Thanks in advance. Please use code tags, thank you (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumoka
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line/Variable Editing for Awk sed Cut

Hello, i have a file, i open the file and read the line, i want to get the first item in the csv file and also teh third+6 item and wirte it to a new csv file. only problem is that using echo it takes TOO LONG: please help a newbie. below is my code: WorkingDir=$1 FileName=`cut -d ',' -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limamichelle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut, sed, awk too slow to retrieve line - other options?

Hi, I have a script that, basically, has two input files of this type: file1 key1=value1_1_1 key2=value1_2_1 key4=value1_4_1 ... file2 key2=value2_2_1 key2=value2_2_2 key3=value2_3_1 key4=value2_4_1 ... My files are 10k lines big each (approx). The keys are strings that don't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut on last backslash on hyperlink string-sed/awk??

hyper link- abc:8081/xyz/2.5.6/rtyp-2.5.6.jar Needs to get "rtyp-2.5.6.jar" i.e character after last backslash "/" how to do this using sed/awk?? help is highly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkscm
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing file with awk cut and sed

HI All, I am new to unix. I have a file would like to do some editing by using awk, cut and sed. Could anyone help? This file contain 100 lines. There are one line for example: 2,"102343454",5060,"579668","579668","579668","SIP",,,"825922","035885221283026",1,268,"00:59:00.782 APR 17... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mimilaw
2 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)