Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to generate a 'kill' list Post 302190567 by era on Wednesday 30th of April 2008 03:17:14 AM
Old 04-30-2008
The PPID is not visible in the ps aux output, you might need different options to get that column also. Then it should be a trivial problem to add '&& $3 > 1' with the correct field number of course before the opening curly.

You want the [f] with the square brackets, otherwise you risk to kill the script itself (in theory, mostly, I guess, in the current scenario; but what if you repurpose the script later? Better make it right).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to generate a list of files

Hello people I need to find a way to generate a file that contains the names of all *.jpg files that were generated after a specific date The search should start in my current folder and recursively search inner folders It would be best to list the file names one below the other in the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasongr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to generate a random list from a given list

Dear Masters, Is there an easy way to generate a random list from a give list of names? Let's say, I have a file containing 15000 city name of world(spreadsheet, names in the first column), I would like to randomly pick up 50 cities each time for total 1000 picks. Or doesn't anyone know a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskcc
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate a list of number

How can I generate a list of numbers and place all of these numbers in a line-by-line into a file. I am new to scripting actually. 0501000000 to 0509999999 i.e. 0501000000 0501000001 ...... 0509999999 set 02 0551000000 to 0559999999 i.e. 0551000000 0551000001 ...... 0559999999 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate the list?

Reference post, https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/131307-incrementing-twist-please-help.html , I can generate a word list easily, by echo or for loop. For example, with the echo command and word expect, I can list all 6 letters possibility (6X6X6X6X6X6=46656) echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate a change list of files/dir

Is there a tool that can diff a directory and generate a change list of files in that directory based on a previous snapshot on the directory? For example /etc/a.txt:changed /etc/b.txt:removed /etc/c.txt:added Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Generate list of deleted files

I copied all JPEGs from my laptop to an external drive using find . -name "*.jpg" -exec cp '{}' ./media/Backup/pictures \; And then deleted all of them from my laptop. Now, I realize that I need the folder path of all the original JPEGs as the path has the important information. I dont... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eshwaconsulting
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script -- Suggestions to list and kill PID's sequentially

Hi, I'm trying to write a script where i'm trying to grep the PID and the associated file and list them. Then execute the KILL command sequentially on the listed PID's for ".tra" files ==================================================== ps -aux | grep mine adm 27739 0.2 0.8 1131588... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali1687
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate list of directories that a user has access to

I manage an AIX OS 7.1 system on IBM Power 770. I want to find out which directories/folders a particular user has read/write access to. How can I cleanly create a list of all directories on the system that a user has access to.. Does this make sense? Thanks in Advance, NEWB:rolleyes: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: code911
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill a list of processes

I am trying to kill a list of processes. I have found these two ways to list a group of process id's on a single line. How would I go about killing all of these processes all on one line? $ ps aux | grep 6243 | grep "a.out" | awk '{printf "%s ",$2}'ps aux | grep 6243 | grep "a.out" | awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate list of letters

Heyas I want to list passed arguments and make an incrementing 'marker'. That 'marker' should be a letter between a-z, in proper order. I'm not aware of a seq pendant, so i tried it with this: C=141 list="" while ];do printf \\$C list+=" \\$C" C=$((C+1)) done echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
KILL(1) 							   User Commands							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal|-p] [-q sigval] [-a] [--] pid... kill -l [signal] DESCRIPTION
The command kill sends the specified signal to the specified process or process group. If no signal is specified, the TERM signal is sent. The TERM signal will kill processes which do not catch this signal. For other processes, it may be necessary to use the KILL (9) signal, since this signal cannot be caught. Most modern shells have a builtin kill function, with a usage rather similar to that of the command described here. The '-a' and '-p' options, and the possibility to specify processes by command name are a local extension. If sig is 0, then no signal is sent, but error checking is still performed. OPTIONS
pid... Specify the list of processes that kill should signal. Each pid can be one of five things: n where n is larger than 0. The process with pid n will be signaled. 0 All processes in the current process group are signaled. -1 All processes with pid larger than 1 will be signaled. -n where n is larger than 1. All processes in process group n are signaled. When an argument of the form '-n' is given, and it is meant to denote a process group, either the signal must be specified first, or the argument must be preceded by a '--' option, otherwise it will be taken as the signal to send. commandname All processes invoked using that name will be signaled. -s, --signal signal Specify the signal to send. The signal may be given as a signal name or number. -l, --list [signal] Print a list of signal names, or convert signal given as argument to a name. The signals are found in /usr/include/linux/signal.h -L, --table Similar to -l, but will print signal names and their corresponding numbers. -a, --all Do not restrict the commandname-to-pid conversion to processes with the same uid as the present process. -p, --pid Specify that kill should only print the process id (pid) of the named processes, and not send any signals. -q, --queue sigval Use sigqueue(2) rather than kill(2) and the sigval argument is used to specify an integer to be sent with the signal. If the receiving process has installed a handler for this signal using the SA_SIGINFO flag to sigaction(2), then it can obtain this data via the si_value field of the siginfo_t structure. NOTES
It is not possible to send a signal to explicitly selected thread in a multithreaded process by kill(2) syscall. If kill(2) is used to send a signal to a thread group, then kernel selects arbitrary member of the thread group that has not blocked the signal. For more details see clone(2) CLONE_THREAD description. The command kill(1) as well as syscall kill(2) accepts TID (thread ID, see gettid(2)) as argument. In this case the kill behavior is not changed and the signal is also delivered to the thread group rather than to the specified thread. SEE ALSO
bash(1), tcsh(1), kill(2), sigvec(2), signal(7) AUTHOR
Taken from BSD 4.4. The ability to translate process names to process ids was added by Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu>. AVAILABILITY
The kill command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux March 2013 KILL(1)