Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about output to file Post 302189372 by beeloo on Friday 25th of April 2008 02:54:55 PM
Old 04-25-2008
Question about output to file

Hi,

I am try to setup a FOR loop script to find out all the existing linux workstations in the network w/ ip address, hostname and linux version.

I created a basic FOR loop script:

for i in $(seq 1 254)
do
echo 10.72.169.$i >> result
ssh -o ConnectTimeout=3 root@10.72.169.$i "hostname" >> result
ssh -o ConnectTimeout=3 root@10.72.169.$i "cat /etc/redhat-release" >> result
done

However, the output is like this:

lumines.devo.ilx.com
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
copper.devo.ilx.com
frogger.devo.ilx.com
Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
afterlife.devo.ilx.com
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
molybdenum
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)

I want the output to be like (with ip address, then hostname, then version) :

10.72.169.21 lumines.devo.ilx.com Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
10.72.169.22 abc.devo.ilx.com Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)

I think with the command AWK, i don't know how to do that. Can someone show it to me?

Thanks
BEELOO

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

A question about output.

I am learning output the data to a file using "ofstream". I need to read data from a file and output the result to the other file in 2 different ways. To do that I have to provoke two functions, and they have to output the result to the same text file. My problem is: they are correct on the screen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

display and output...question

Hi, I have a small question about the value cannot display correctly: MSG=log fruit=apple print "No $fruit in the store" > "$MSG/fruit_message.txt" output: No $fruit in the store should be: No apple in the store AND $MSG/fruit_message.txt ----------> cannot find the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wget output question

Hello there, İ want to ask a very simple question. I want to read the output messages of wget both in terminal and also put them into a text file. i know that by using -o flag, i can log the messages into a text file but then i won't be able to see them on terminal. I'd appreciate any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sertansenturk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output file question

I am running a shell script which executes a bteq script and the output of the BTEQ script is dumped in the standard output file. The output of the bteq execution is a table with 30 columns and the width of the output would be about 800 characters for each record. My current output only shows 3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mihirjani
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Question on kstat output

I'm having a little trouble understanding the output I'm seeing from kstat for the "net" class. I'm seeing a lot of entries with "mac" as the name, like this. module: bge instance: 3 name: mac class: net ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Midcain
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic output file generation using a input text file with predefined output format

Hi, I have two files , one file with data file with attributes that need to be sent to another file to generate a predefined format. Example: File.txt AP|{SSHA}VEEg42CNCghUnGhCVg== APVG3|{SSHA}XK|"password" AP3|{SSHA}XK|"This is test" .... etc --------- test.sh has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED-Question - OR and Output in new file

Hi i want connect several sed-commands with an OR and get the output in a new file. I thought it works with sed ... | sed ... | sed ... > file , but it doesn`t work. Can anyone help me? regards alex (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexander_
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command Output Question

Hi everyone-- I'm new to these forums and shell scripting, and I'm trying to write a script that checks if a particular ip is pingable My idea was to check if the output of the command ping <some ip> -c 1 -w 1 had the string: "1 packet transmitted, 1 received"How would I go about doing this?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prodiga1
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My question is all "03" records move to output file without changing

This is my input file 01,011600033,011600033,110516,0834,2,90,,2/ 02,011600033,011103093,1,110317,0834,,2/ 03,105581,,015,+00000416418,,,901,+00000000148,,,922,+00000000354,,/ 49,+00000000000416920,00002/ 03,113806,,015,+00000559618,,,901,+00000000096,,,922,+00000000621,,/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgoud
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection to existing file question

So I have a existing file that I used the uniq command on and I need to save the output to the same file without changing the file name. I have tried $ uniq filename > filename then when I cat the file it then becomes blank like there is nothing inside. any help would be much appreciated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
0 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)