Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to change the system prompt and BG of terminal? Post 302189042 by wrapster on Thursday 24th of April 2008 10:15:22 PM
Old 04-24-2008
I was unable to open /usr/bin/bash...
I mean it was in unreadable format!!!.
and i was not able to figure out where to enter the PS to change to my liking in the .profile (i suppose you meant /etc/profile)(using bash)

So i tried this from the terminal...
export PS1='wrapster@home'
it works
but again its gone when i do exit...
and i will have to reset it to get it back...
(i want it to be displayed it as soon as the terminal is open, say something like a default))

Also its not reflected across terminals
do i have to keep doing export every time??

Also can you be a little descriptive as to where exactly i need to set the values in /etc/profile?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change shell and prompt

I want to write a shell script which will change the current shell (say from csh to bsh) and my Prompt (say my name) as desired.pls help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SHYAM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change prompt

I have a Sun OS and at the moment the prompt is # and i want to change it to: root@server # can you help me please. thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drogram
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change root prompt (Solaris)

Hello all. I was wondering if there is a way to change the root prompt. I am using Solaris 10 and would like to have the root prompt display the current directory along with 'SU' to indicate root status. What I have tried so far: /etc/passwd changed the root shell to korn with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertSubnet
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where to change the UNIX password prompt?

Hi guys, I got these 3 servers: a, b and c which I ssh from a to b/c. a:$ ssh userid@b Password: a:$ ssh userid@c userid@c's password: Notice that the password prompt is different (highlighted in bold) on both servers even though their SUN Solaris version the same, OpenSSH version... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrivesMeCrazy
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i change my bash prompt ?

It looks like, user@hostname:/auto/home3/user$ Desired, user@hostname$ I added following line in .bashrc, but still its same. export PS1=" $ " Please help me :confused: (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change password prompt format

Hello, I installed Kerberos on Red Hat. My testing tool checks for the prompt when user log-in. Unfortunately I don't have access to that testing tool so I have to fix somehow the prompt. My testing tool expects this format: login: XYZ Password: When I installed Kerberos I have this format:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: susja
1 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

How to prompt for login on OSX when starting Terminal

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to log back in to unix after logging out. I have a MBPro. If I don't have the window close after exiting, then there is the phrase 'process completed' in brackets with a blinking cursor, but I can't type anything in. Is it also possible to start the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to hide shell terminal and run prompt program after ssh login for specified user

Hey guys, I have some task from my office to lock user on the specified directory after the user logged on using ssh. And then run prompt program to fill the required information. Yeah, just like an ATM system. My question: How could I do those?? AFAIK I have to edit the ~./bashrc. But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos

After installing centos iam not able to see the terminal icon in the applications menu to launch the command prompt in Centos. However iam able to see the Open Terminal menu, when i right click and it is not working. let me know what are the things i need to check.:b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)