Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: for loop syntax trouble
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop syntax trouble Post 302184674 by visitorQ on Saturday 12th of April 2008 12:13:13 PM
Old 04-12-2008
thank you so much for the quick reply buddy! i ended up doing this which worked just fine:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

for i in `seq 1 ${1}`
do
    echo "Welcome ${i} times";
done

but your code seems to be cleaner and make more sense, so i'll adopt that method instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start more than one database - trouble with for loop

I have seen this done before - and maybe there is a better way too. I want to be abe to use a for loop (or other better method) to loop through the database instance names that are part of the script - not an external file where a read might be ok. Here is what I have and I know won't work -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave-mentor
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop Trouble

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my code here? I'm experiencing weird behavior... I am using 'j' to go down a list filenames saved in a .txt file and prompting the user whether or not she would like to delete each one. This works all well and fine the first run through, but then instead of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSymphony
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop syntax

hi, I have to use for loop in my script. The below code is providing an output, 1,2,3,4,5..n. But i need to display the values one by one eg: it has to display the first value then exit from the loop and display the second value then exit till n(last value). for i in 1,2,3,4,5..n do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreelu
2 Replies

5. Programming

trouble with loop counting

HI there, I am trying to count manually what this code does but I am stuck and I don't learly see the result. The code works and it compiles and runs but I just don't follow the value of var. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<wait.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluetxxth
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

for-loop syntax

%%%%% (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble displaying parameters passed into a for loop

#!/bin/bash function check_num_args() { if ; then echo "Please provide a file name" else treat_as_file $* fi } function treat_as_file() { numFiles=$# for((i=1;i<=$numFiles;i++));do echo $i ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kikilahooch
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble understand and using for loop

Good evening all I have what might be a simple problem to solve but I do not know how to solve it myself. I am writing a bash script and my code looks something like this: mp3=`ls | grep \.mp3` for f in $mp3 do echo $f done Basically what I want to do is look through the current... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Considerable trouble with for loop in combination with awk

I have the text file where each line has the format: chr10 101418889 101418904 0.816327 Right now the interval between column 2 and 3 is 15. I only want the two consecutive positions starting at position 1, write it to a file, then move up one position write to file etc. So that: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What does xx mean in this while loop syntax?

I have a shell script which has this while loop line "while read tblName xx; do..." I understand how while loop works but don't know what does this xx stands for? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: later_troy
1 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)