Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Virtual Hosts and Alteon DNS conflicts Post 302183152 by jackola on Tuesday 8th of April 2008 12:14:13 PM
Old 04-08-2008
Power Virtual Hosts and Alteon DNS conflicts

Hi,

This is more of a verification rather than a question of technical nature.

This is based on solaris 10 machine

Could we use Virtual hosts (within our hosts file):
123.1.1.10 virtual_host_name
123.1.1.10 host_A
(note: 123.1.1.10 - host_A is also in our DNS server entry)

And also have alteon switch pointing to (222.1.1.2) to the same name 'virtual_host_name'? (matched as such in the DNS server entry)

That is 2 different IP's using the same hostname.

What is also we added a second server (with hosts file):
123.1.1.20 virtual_host_name
123.1.1.20 host_B
(note: 123.1.1.20 - host_B is also in our DNS server entry)

That would make it 3 different IP's using the same hostname.

Just for info. in the nsswitch.conf file, we have put DNS in front of the files:
hosts: files dns

Any help would be much appreciated. If this is not clear and you have questions, please post them, thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

dns and hosts file

ok i have a question now when i add machines on network that are running unix do i add them in the /etc/hosts file also include them in dns (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Apache 2 Virtual Hosts not resolving

Hey all, I'm having some apache problems. I've installed apache countless times on FreeBSD. However, I'm having some problems and I could use some help. Here is my system info: FreeBSD 5.2.1 Apache 2.0.51 (/usr/local/apache2), doc root (/www symlink to /var/www) PHP 5.0.1 (/usr/local/php)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezekiel61
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Application & Virtual hosts in Apache

Folks; I need help knowing how to add an application to existing Virtual host on Apache. here's the details: I have a virtual host file (Based on IP address) for Apache and is configured to run application inside it. How can i add another application to the same virtual host based on the same IP... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
0 Replies

4. Solaris

/etc/nsswitch.conf hosts ldap dns

Hi all Is there any reason to have "hosts ldap dns" as line in /etc/nsswitch.conf ? My understanding is that ldap does not contain any host information..(?) Best regards...Ludwig (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ludwig
1 Replies

5. Linux

Problems with log rotate and virtual hosts

ok guys, Im running Centos 4.6 Final latest versions of apache, mysql etc etc Basically, I have several websites on there and one of them is a busy forum and it generates big log files in not that long of a timeperiod. I set it up about 8 months ago so that logrotate was rotating the logs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anderow
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Which lookup tool query both hosts and DNS server?

As i understand, host/nslookup/dig only query DNS server to resolve name to ip. ping can query both, but it seems if ping is blocked, ping won't return IP. traceroute can query both, but i am not able to test if traceroute is blocked, What is the result? Neither ping/traceroute is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

Hosts file ignored, no DNS entry but still routes!!

Hi all, I have an entry in my hosts file on a server called tractor as follows: 10.67.34.128 digger-m2m digger I have a DNS server configured but it doesn't seem to know about digger. When I do an nslookup on tractor for digger i get the following: new_dns1.oam.uk can't find digger: Non... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum Number of Virtual Hosts per Apache instance

Is there a directive to limit the number of virtual hosts allowed per apache instance? I am told yes but I cannot find it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

9. AIX

Use of /etc/hosts files in resolving the dns name

Hello, For what purpose /etc/hosts file is used.I mean how any request coming to a DNS server or a switch would know that which name and ip are configured in /etc/hosts files of a server? Best regards, Vishal (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies

10. AIX

How to find which internal hosts still using my DNS service ? Please help

Hello guys, I am new to AIX . I have two AIX v5.3 servers running BIND DNS service on them. The plan is to shut down only the DNS service on them, but in order to do that I have to determine which internal hosts are still using the servers to resolve DNS queries. Can you please advice on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tihomirvs
2 Replies
DNSSPOOF(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       DNSSPOOF(8)

NAME
dnsspoof - forge replies to DNS address / pointer queries SYNOPSIS
dnsspoof [-i interface] [-f hostsfile] [expression] DESCRIPTION
dnsspoof forges replies to arbitrary DNS address / pointer queries on the LAN. This is useful in bypassing hostname-based access controls, or in implementing a variety of man-in-the-middle attacks. OPTIONS
-i interface Specify the interface to use. -f hostsfile Specify the pathname of a file in hosts(5) format. Only one hostname allowed per line (no aliases), although hostnames may contain wildcards (such as *.doubleclick.net). expression Specify a tcpdump(8) filter expression to select traffic to sniff. If no hostsfile is specified, replies will be forged for all address queries on the LAN with an answer of the local machine's IP address. FILES
/usr/share/dsniff/dnsspoof.hosts Sample hosts file. SEE ALSO
dsniff(8), hosts(5) AUTHOR
Dug Song <dugsong@monkey.org> DNSSPOOF(8)