Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: anonymous ftp attack?
Special Forums Cybersecurity anonymous ftp attack? Post 302182010 by dennisheazle on Friday 4th of April 2008 10:01:54 PM
Old 04-04-2008
anonymous ftp attack?

For the last week or so every day for about 6 to 10 hours someone is logging in and out continuously to our anonymous ftp. They don't stay logged in. It seems like it must be an automatic process aimed at tying up our anonymous ftp. The ID of the server doing this is can59-4-82-240-1.
As a result our wtmp file grows very large very quickly and disk space runs out. Does anyone else have this experience? How can we stop this happening?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anonymous FTP Server

How do I set up and Anonymous FTP Server on Unix FreeBSD v4.3? Also, how do I set up my account to get root access when I am logged onto my server through ftp? Thanx in advanced. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ByondF1
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable anonymous ftp????

How do i disable anonymous ftp on a unix system?????? Please help!!!!!!!1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrivas
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Enable PWD command on anonymous FTP?

Hello everyone - First post here, I'm trying to connect to an anonymous ftp server and I am told by the server admin that I cannot have access to the "print working directory" command. I need to have access to this command in order for my (and my clients) preferred ftp client to connect. (the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: HiredGun79
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Anonymous User

Hi, Can a anonymous user have password ? I have created a user and set password. Now I want to create that user as anonymous. Ronald (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to block an anonymous ftp user?

Could anyone provide information on how to block a specific client machine from being able to log onto anonymous ftp? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisheazle
10 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Anonymous Post Option

There is an option now to post anonymously in this forum. Note the Make Post Anonymously check box option when you post in this forum. https://www.unix.com/members/neo-albums-forum-pics-picture314-anonymous-posting-option.png (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anonymous ftp log?

Hello, I was wanting to know if there is any log/tracker for anonymous ftp activity for users that are logging in to our server. We migrated over to a new server and cleaning up some loose ends on the old server. We noticed that some files are being loaded on the old server via anonymous ftp.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shorty
1 Replies

8. Linux

VSFTP Anonymous users

Hi all, Im trying to enable anonymous users to upload files, e.g. i like my cisco router to upload config files ... for now iv i have file in /pub/upload/test.txt i can download the file from windows pc but if i like to to upload iv got this error im testing with windows pc but the same iv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IvanMP
2 Replies
PAM_FTP(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual							PAM_FTP(8)

NAME
pam_ftp - PAM module for anonymous access module SYNOPSIS
pam_ftp.so [debug] [ignore] [users=XXX,YYY,...] DESCRIPTION
pam_ftp is a PAM module which provides a pluggable anonymous ftp mode of access. This module intercepts the user's name and password. If the name is ftp or anonymous, the user's password is broken up at the @ delimiter into a PAM_RUSER and a PAM_RHOST part; these pam-items being set accordingly. The username (PAM_USER) is set to ftp. In this case the module succeeds. Alternatively, the module sets the PAM_AUTHTOK item with the entered password and fails. This module is not safe and easily spoofable. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. ignore Pay no attention to the email address of the user (if supplied). ftp=XXX,YYY,... Instead of ftp or anonymous, provide anonymous login to the comma separated list of users: XXX,YYY,.... Should the applicant enter one of these usernames the returned username is set to the first in the list: XXX. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The authentication was successful. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/ftpd to handle ftp style anonymous login: # # ftpd; add ftp-specifics. These lines enable anonymous ftp over # standard UN*X access (the listfile entry blocks access to # users listed in /etc/ftpusers) # auth sufficient pam_ftp.so auth required pam_unix.so use_first_pass auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_ftp was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_FTP(8)