Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling shell functions from another shell script Post 302181825 by fpmurphy on Friday 4th of April 2008 09:08:04 AM
Old 04-04-2008
There is a better way of doing what you want to do using FPATH and/or autoload

For example, suppose you create the following directory within your home directory and put your function scripts in this directory. The filename should be the function name.

mkdir ~/.kshfunctions

In your .kshrc file, define the FPATH variable to point to that directory:

export FPATH=~/.kshfunctions

Functions will then be loaded on an as needed basis and results in faster script startup. To get a listing of which functions are actually currently loaded, just type 'functions' at the prompt. Use whence to find a function.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh93
echo "in 2.sh"
fun1 "foo"

Code:
# fun1
function fun1
{
  print "In function fun1 arg1->[$1]"
}

Code:
$./2.sh
in 2.sh
In fun1 arg1->[foo]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling shell script ?

hi friends, i'm new to unix and straight away i had to start with the script files. I've a script file which gets called from a menu item on a GUI. This script file again calls .awk file, in performing some tasks , which also generates certain files. I modified the files to generate some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ravi_Kandula
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script functions

Simple shell script : date test_fn() { echo "function within test shell script " } on the shell prompt I run > . test Then I invoke the function on the command line as below : test_fn() It echos the line function within test shell script and works as expected. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_subrahmanian
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating functions in shell script

hi friends, I am working with shell commands and all these works properly. Then i created a small function which includes these commands. Now the problem arises. When the commands are run by calling this fuction.it shows error. Why i am not able to run the unix command inside a function.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gjithin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Functions of Other K Shell Program

Hi, I have a K shell a.ksh function abc { // Some logic } In b.ksh i have included the a.ksh ./a.ksh I want to call the abc function from this b.ksh script. Thanks Vijay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrc
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling another shell script

Hi there, I have an script reading content of a file and runs whatever command is specified there, as follows #!/bin/bash # Supposed to read from a file that commands are listed to be run # when the server starts for initialization CMD_FILE=/myScripts/startup/task2do.txt if ; then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james gordon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using library functions in shell script

hey guys, i made up a library file called common.lib so as to reuse the same code without typing it again. here is the code. its pretty basic . ## This is the second function compare() { file1 = $1 file2 = $2 cmp $file1 $file2 if then echo "comparison is possible"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible make the shell read functions 1 by 1 and calling an other function?

Greetings, I m wondering if it's possible do do the following : I have a simple function called "FindMoveDelete" which does the following : FindMoveDelete() { find . -iname "$FILENAME*.ext" -exec mv {} "$PATH/$VAR" \; && find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -iname "$FILENAME*" -exec rm -rf {}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Functions in a shell script

so i have a very big script that has the following format: functionA () { .... ... .... } Results=$(functionA) the code inside of functionA is very huge. so by the time the script gets to the "Results=" part, several seconds have already passed. the script is about 15MB in size.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find C programming functions using shell script?

I want to find c function definition with pattern with shell script by checking condition for each line: data_type functionname(param_list){ .... } I knew cscope or ctag is usable for this task, but if there any ways to do without using them. I am thinking of checking line condition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmdcmd
3 Replies
CONFMODULE(3)						     Library Functions Manual						     CONFMODULE(3)

NAME
confmodule - communicate with Debian configuration system FrontEnd. SYNOPSIS
#!/bin/sh -e . /usr/share/debconf/confmodule db_version 2.0 db_capb 'backup' CAPB=$RET db_input 'foo/bar' || true db_go || true DESCRIPTION
This is a library of shell functions that eases communication with Debian's configuration management system. It can communicate with a FrontEnd via the debconf protocol. The design is that each command in the protocol is represented by one function in this module. The func- tionname is the same as the command, except it is prefixed with "db_" and is lower-case. Call the function and pass in any parameters you want to follow the command. Any textual return code from the FrontEnd will be returned to you in the $RET variable, while the numeric return code from the FrontEnd will be returned as a return code (and so those return codes must be captured or ignored). NOTES
Once this library is loaded, any text you later output will go to standard error, rather than standard output. This is a good thing in gen- eral, because text sent to standard output is interpreted by the FrontEnd as commands. If you do want to send a command directly to the FrontEnd, you must output it to file descriptor 3, like this: echo GET foo/bar >&3 The library checks to make sure it is actually speaking to a FrontEnd by examining the DEBIAN_HAS_FRONTEND variable. If it is set, a Fron- tEnd is assumed to be running. If not, the library turns into one, and runs a copy of the script that loaded the library connected to it. This means that if you source this library, you should do so very near to the top of your script, because everything before the sourcing of the library may well be run again. SEE ALSO
debconf-devel(7), dpkg-preconfigure(8), dpkg-reconfigure(8), debconf_specification in the debian-policy package AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> CONFMODULE(3)