Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to? launch command with string of command line options Post 302180828 by TinCanFury on Tuesday 1st of April 2008 09:10:42 AM
Old 04-01-2008
anyone know why this is failing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Executing command line options

Can someone please tell me how to modify/add to this code so that it recognizes UNIX command options (all beginning with "-") and executes the command with options? #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; system("stty -echo"); ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Safia
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associated array from command line options

I am looking to populate an (associated) array with a command line argument. The command line would look something like this: alert -action test -priority '10' -module test_module . . . The associated array would look like this after the data is read in flag=(action=test priority=10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jperret
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a command string from the command line

How can we copy a command string from a previous command line and paste it into the cursor position on the current command line? I know that ^c will not work as the shell will interpret as an interrupt signal. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using perl to get options from command line

Hi all, I want to get options from command line by perl. usage() options: -h Show this help message and exit -t Name of tester --timeout Set the timeout -l ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script, with command-line options

Hello everyone, I have a perl script which takes various command line options from user like : test.pl -i <input_file> -o <output_file> -d <value> -c <value> Now I have multiple input files in a directory: <input_file_1> <input_file_2> <input_file_3> <input_file_4> ..... .... ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with spaces in Java command line options

Hi, I am writing a shell script to build Java options dynamically in a variable array and pass them to java.exe. If an option value contains a space, I cannot find a way to get it interpreted correctly. Here is my example: #!/bin/bash JAVA_HOME=/opt/jvm/jre1.5.0_18 JAVA_OPTS=("-Xms256m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Romain
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script file command line options

Being new to awk I have a really basic question. It just has to be in the archives but it didn't bite me when I went looking for it. I've written an awk script, placed it in a file, added the "#!/usr/bin/awk -f" at the top of the script and away I go. "% myAwk <inputfile>" gives me exactly what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomr2k
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing Multiple Arguments in Command Line Options

Hi All, I am new to scripting. Could you please assist me . Here is my requirement. I have written a script that has 2 option flags defined. -l) calls some function with the arguments passed in front of -l -r) calls second function with the arguments passed in front of -r *) calls the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Deshpande
7 Replies
KABCCLIENT(1)							 KDE User's Manual						     KABCCLIENT(1)

NAME
kabcclient - commandline client for the KDE addressbook SYNOPSIS
kabcclient [[-A] | [-R] | [-M] | [-S] | [-L]] [--match-case] [--nosave] [-ic codec] [-if format] [-if-opts format-options] [-oc codec] [-of format] [-of-opts format-options] [input-data] DESCRIPTION
kabcclient allows commandline access to the KDE addressbook, for example in shell scripts. It supports input from stdin or through additional commandline arguments. Output is always written to stdout. OPTIONS
Operation modes -A, --add Add a new contact entry to the addressbook -R, --remove Removes an existing contact entry from the addressbook -M, --merge Merges input data with an existing contact entry from the addressbook. This appends any new information to the already existing one -S, --search Searches the addressbook for matching contact entries -L, --list Lists all contact entries of the addressbook Input options -ic, --input-codec Pass input text through a specified text encoding. See -ic help for additional information about input codecs. Default is local which will use the codec for the current locale(5) settings -if, --input-format Parses the input text according to given formatting rules. See -if help for available formats. Default is search Instead of reading input text kabcclient can show a dialog for selecting contacts using the input format dialog -if-opts, --input-format-options Additional options for the chosen input format. Can be optional as well as mandatory depending on the format. See -if-opts help for available format options Output options -oc, --output-codec Pass output text through a specified text encoding. See -oc help for additional information about output codecs. Default is local which will use the codec for the current locale(5) settings. -of, --output-format Formats the output text according to given formatting rules. See -of help for available formats. Default is vcard -of-opts, --output-format-options Additional options for the chosen output format. Can be optional as well as mandatory depending on the format. See -of-opts help for available format options Additional options --match-case Use case sensitive text matching when comparing input text with contact entries --nosave Perform information changing operations like -A, -R or -M only in memory but do not write the changes back to the addressbook DIAGNOSTICS
As usual an exit status of zero indicates success. Depending on the chosen operation mode a non-zero exit status indicates a certain problem the application encountered ADD 1 Reading the input text failed 2 Creating a suitable contact entry from the input text failed, e.g. not data or wrongly formatted input for the chosen input format 3 Saving the addressbook changes failed. This can be caused for example by other applications currently locking the addressbook. REMOVE 1 Reading the input text failed 2 The program could not remove any contact entry from the addressbook. This can be caused by failing to parse the input text, failing to find a matching contact entry in the addressbook or finding more than one matching contact entry in the addressbook. In the latter case an error message is written to stderr 3 Saving the addressbook changes failed. This can be caused for example by other applications currently locking the addressbook. MERGE 1 Reading the input text failed 2 The program could not merge the input with any contact entry from the addressbook. This can be caused by failing to parse the input text, failing to find a matching contact entry in the addressbook or finding more than one matching contact entry in the addressbook. In the latter case an error message is written to stderr 3 Saving the addressbook changes failed. This can be caused for example by other applications currently locking the addressbook. SEARCH, 1 Reading the input text failed 2 The program could not find any matching contact entry in the addressbook. This can be caused by failing to parse the input text or failing to find a matching contact entry in the addressbook EXAMPLES
Look for contact entries with Joe in either name or email addresses kabcclient -S Joe Do the same but use case sensitive matching kabcclient --match-case -S Joe Do the same but read input text from stdin echo "Joe" | kabcclient --match-case -S Try to add a new contact entry using data from a formatted email address kabcclient --nosave --add -if email "Marilyn Monroe <mmonroe@moviestars.com>" Do the same but this time really save the changed addressbook kabcclient --add -if email "Marilyn Monroe <mmonroe@moviestars.com>" Listing the available input formats kabcclient -if help Listing the available output formats kabcclient -of help Listing the available options for the 'email' output format kabcclient -of email -of-opts help Listing all email addresses for all contacts containing 'Marilyn' kabcclient -of email -of-opts allemails -S Marilyn Remove all contacts the user selected in the contact selection dialog kabcclient --remove -if dialog Export selected contacts to a VCard (default output format) file kabcclient -S -if dialog > contacts.vcf AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> Author K Desktop Environment 2005-09-08 KABCCLIENT(1)