Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX domain sockets vs FIFOs Post 302179466 by Perderabo on Thursday 27th of March 2008 08:11:32 PM
Old 03-27-2008
They are not interchangable the way pipe() and socketpair() are. Compared to FIFO's, Unix domain sockets are a minor nightmare to use. Two programs can just open a FIFO and then they are talking. With Unix domain sockets, a server has to set up one unix domain socket and go through all the networking business. A client creates a temporary unix domain socket of its own and connects to the servers socket. The server then forks() and starts a conversation with the client. There is a lot of overhead including a fork() just to get the ball rolling. Ignoring the startup overhead, I'm not sure which can send data the fastest. I would go with the FIFO anyway.

But it's good to use Unix domain sockets at least once, so maybe you should do that. That will cure you forever from considering them again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unix Domain

hello, how can we create a domain in unix operating systems. By domain i mean which is used to maintain remote user logins and etc. cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX in MS Win2003 Domain

Hi, Can I make a UNIX or LINUX machine a member of MS Active Directory 2003? How? Regards Leo (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Teamplay
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a Unix machine to the domain

Hiya, what is the exact command to add a Unix machine to the existing domain? Is this command different for Linux/HP-Ux? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wize
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

fd passing between Independent processes using unix domain sockets

Hi, I am having some error handling issues with and fd passed between Independent processes using unix domain sockets (On HPUX). Here is the scnerio ================= Step 1: TPC/Client (connect()) ---Connects to ------TCP/Server(Gateway) (server gets fd) Step 2: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debasisb2002
2 Replies

5. Programming

Praying for help: FIFOs, IPC

omg i need help so bad. I've been working on a school project for what seems like an eternity and i'm close to deadline. Using FIFO's (i ahve to) to communicate between parent and child proc's. Right now I'm stuck on a read/write. fifomsg is a struct with int length and char message fields. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funktar
5 Replies

6. Programming

forks, ipc, fifos, update issues...

Hi, so I've got this program("main") that fork executes another ("user"). These programs communicate through fifos. One communication is a spawn call, where user passes an executable, main forks and executes it. So, I'm keeping track of all my processes using a task table. After the fork (for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funktar
6 Replies

7. Linux

A little help understanding FIFOs?

This isn't strictly a Linux question, but... I've been working on a project to archive some streaming media for time shifting using 'mplayer' and have been using FIFOs to archive in Ogg Vorbis format: mkfifo program_name.wav (mplayer -ao pcm -aofile program_name.wav &)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and fifos

How can I make tar read data from a fifo, instead of storing it as a fifo? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX Message Queues vs. Sockets

If I use sockets for IPC, and can easily distribute my applications. UNIX Message Queues are local to the processor. As I understand it, Message Queues still incur system call overhead, just like socket calls. What advantage does a UNIX Message Queue provide versus a TCP or UDP Socket,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen29sky
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is the advantage of unix sockets?

Hi, i understood that there are several type of sockets: TCP, UDP & Unix. i wondered, what is the performance advantages of unix socket of the other types? isn't it equal to use UDP with localhost as destination over unix socket? Thanks in advance, Sariel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarielz
1 Replies
SOCKETPAIR(2)							System Calls Manual						     SOCKETPAIR(2)

NAME
socketpair - create a pair of connected sockets SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> socketpair(d, type, protocol, sv) int d, type, protocol; int sv[2]; DESCRIPTION
The socketpair call creates an unnamed pair of connected sockets in the specified domain d, of the specified type, and using the optionally specified protocol. The descriptors used in referencing the new sockets are returned in sv[0] and sv[1]. The two sockets are indistin- guishable. DIAGNOSTICS
A 0 is returned if the call succeeds, -1 if it fails. ERRORS
The call succeeds unless: [EMFILE] Too many descriptors are in use by this process. [EAFNOSUPPORT] The specified address family is not supported on this machine. [EPROTONOSUPPORT] The specified protocol is not supported on this machine. [EOPNOSUPPORT] The specified protocol does not support creation of socket pairs. [EFAULT] The address sv does not specify a valid part of the process address space. SEE ALSO
read(2), write(2), pipe(2) BUGS
This call is currently implemented only for the UNIX domain. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 SOCKETPAIR(2)