Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers trying to create a script with multiple variables... Post 302177255 by Italy87 on Thursday 20th of March 2008 12:52:27 PM
Old 03-20-2008
trying to create a script with multiple variables...

I have created a script that prompts the user to enter three variables that are seperated by a space as the delimiter.

It then performs a command 3 seperate times for each variable entered.

I want the script to llow the user to enter as many variables as they may like and the script to perform the commandwith each variable entered, each time.

the scripts promt starts as
example of script:

read AP1 AP2 AP3

{command + $AP1}
{Command + $AP2}
{Command + $AP3}

they are later used as $AP1 $AP2 $AP3

How can I change this with one read command that will use a loop to repeat the command to each variable entered?

Thank you for you help in advance.

italy87

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass multiple variables to SQL script

I am trying to close of multiple users in an Oracle database. Each users has records in multiple tables what I need to do is use a script that call each SQL seperately passing either CLI arguments or gathered arguments from the users during run time. ## Accept variable(s) from the command line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create and access a directory in the same script using variables

I have a working script that defines the paths using variables which is used to move a rename files that are being archived. Is there a way to create a directory in the path with the date as the name and then reference it when moving the file to it? Here is what I have tried with no luck.... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Snickyt0310
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Variables for BASH script

Hello, I am new to the whole "scripting" thing. Below is the script that I have so far and where i need the Variables to go (VAR#) #!/bin/bash #Sample Script VAR1= echo "Choose an option: 1) Create a file. 2) Delete a file. 3) Move a file." read VAR1 case $VAR1 in 1) echo "Pick... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eclerget
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling script with multiple variables in second script

Hi All, Just give me an idea on how to do the below logic. 1. I have one master script masterload.sh, the usage of this script is a. masterload.sh FULL BFLF_LOAD.txt b. masterload.sh DELTA TDLD_LOAD.txt c.masterload.sh USER MAS_LOAD.txt FULL , DELTA ,USER are the varaibles based... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mora
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create multiple file using shell script

HI, i created the below script to create the multiple files, iam not getting the required output, Please advice. #!/bin/sh v_date=$1 # argument will come as daymonthyear eg : 151112 v_day=`echo $v_date | cut -c 1-2` v_mon=`echo $v_date | cut -c 3-4` v_year=`echo $v_date | cut -c 5-6`... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagguvarma
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script with multiple variables like 25 variables.

Hi All, i have a requirement where i have to run a script with at least 25 arguements and position of arguements can also change. the unapropriate way is like below. can we achieve this in more good and precise way?? #!/bin/ksh ##script is sample.ksh age=$1 gender=$2 class=$3 . . .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning multiple variables in ksh script

Is it possible to have a user input multiple words in one line and have the script assign each word a variable? I'm stuck please assist. Example using "BILL JOHN SARA JILL" as what the user could type: printf "Enter account names: " BILL JOHN SARA JILL read input (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to create variables to pass into a bash loop to create a download link

I have created one file that contains all the necessary info in it to create a download link. In each of the lines /results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-6-Medexome_67_032/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.67... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL script to capture range of lines and create two independent variables

Hi I am having a code as stated below module abcd( a , b , c ,da , fa, na , ta , ma , ra , ta, la , pa ); input a , b, da ,fa , na , ta , ma; output c , ra ,ta , la ,pa ; wire a , b , da , fa ,na , ta , ma; // MBIST Structures... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable an environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with the current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script. service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start com- mand. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)