Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System calls
Top Forums Programming System calls Post 302176832 by Perderabo on Wednesday 19th of March 2008 08:57:41 AM
Old 03-19-2008
A system call usually involves a single machine language instruction that behaves very much like an interrupt. Anyone can invoke it. But it jumps to a specific routine in the kernel called syscall. syscall can only do system calls. The jump to syscall also switch into kernel mode. There is not a way to to switch to kernel mode and jump to arbitrary point in the kernel. You must jump to syscall. (At least this is what happens on a reasonably designed computer.) Also, there is no way to switch kernel mode and continue executing user code even if you are the kernel. In kernel mode you must be running code in kernel address space.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls?

open, creat, read, write, lseek and close Are they all primitive? :confused: *Another Question: is there a different between a system call, and an i/o system call? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PlunderBunny
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls in UNIX

Hi i am very new to programming in UNIX and don't understand the difference between a system call and a normal function call. Also can I implement system calls from within a program? If so could someone please give me an example of a system call from within a program. Lastly, when creating a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bjhum33
1 Replies

10. Programming

Are system calls in c language only????

Hi friends, I have three questions. 1) What are system calls? 2) Is it necessary that system calls be in c language (in unix operating system)? 3) Importance of c language when programming in unix environment??? Looking forward to your wonderful replies! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies
GETUID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 GETUID(2)

NAME
getuid, geteuid -- get user identification LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> uid_t getuid(void); uid_t geteuid(void); DESCRIPTION
The getuid() system call returns the real user ID of the calling process. The geteuid() system call returns the effective user ID of the calling process. The real user ID is that of the user who has invoked the program. As the effective user ID gives the process additional permissions during execution of ``set-user-ID'' mode processes, getuid() is used to determine the real-user-id of the calling process. ERRORS
The getuid() and geteuid() system calls are always successful, and no return value is reserved to indicate an error. SEE ALSO
getgid(2), issetugid(2), setgid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2) STANDARDS
The geteuid() and getuid() system calls are expected to conform to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The getuid() and geteuid() functions appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD