Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Can we write a multiple thread to receive from a single socket file descriptor Post 302176081 by astormchaser on Monday 17th of March 2008 09:55:52 AM
Old 03-17-2008
I agree with

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'd recommend you to re-design of your software with producer and worker concept. One thread will read data on socket then it will select a thread from pool and assign work to that.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Get the file descriptor of a socket file. C vs Python.

Hi, I want to validate that a file is a socket file on Linux. I know I can do this using the S_ISSOCK macro, but I am not sure how to get the file descriptor for the socket file. For example, I know that /tmp/mapping-foo is a socket file. In Python I can do something like this: >>> import... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goon12
2 Replies

2. Programming

Finding used socket receive-buffer size

I have set the receive buffer size of socket to max. setsockopt(sd,SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF,&max,optval); Am reading data from the socket in a loop(say max 100 bytes per recv) while(1) { int rlen=recv(sd,(void *)buf, 100 , 0); //err handle and processing } Assume my process is slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Killing a thread having a listener socket

Hi All I have a separate thread ListenerThread having a socket listening to info broadcasted by some remote server. This is created in my main thread. Because of requirements, once the separate thread is started I need to avoid any blocking function on the main thread. Once it comes to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manustone
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Polling on socket descriptor does not return pollhup

I have a query related to the functioning of poll() system call on solaris and linux platforms. When the client is abnormally terminated, it is observed that on Linux the socket is immediately closed and the server gets ECONNREFUSED. But in case of Solaris it is observed that the socket is not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amarjeet_7
0 Replies

5. Programming

how can I send and receive data in client server socket programing

char name; printf ("Welcome to the server \n"); printf ("Enter user name: \n"); scanf ("%c", &name); how can client send name to server:what should be the code? int send ( int sid , const char ∗buffer Ptr , int len , int f l a g ) how can client receive ack from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saiful_911
1 Replies

6. Programming

write on Non Blocking Socket

How to know whether socket is ready for write. select(maxfds, (fd_set *)NULL, &writefds, NULL, &timeout); By default socket is set for write without checking whether it would block or not? If so how do I know my FD is ready for writing. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
3 Replies

7. Programming

creating multiple threads using single thread id

Hi all, Can I create multiple threads using single thread_id like pthread_t thread_id; pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_xs, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_ys, NULL); pthread_create(&thread_id, NULL, &print_zs, NULL); pthread_join(thread_id, NULL); what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

thread blocked while deleting a socket.

Hello to all, I have below function, but the thread will be bloked at the line delete pListenSocket; // Close and delete If I put some cpu timing switching function prior to it, then no blocking pop up. printf("xyz\n"); // or sleep(100); delete pListenSocket; // Close and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shinypro
1 Replies

9. Solaris

18-Mar-2012 14:25:03.209 general: error: socket: file descriptor exceeds limit (4096/4096)

I have BIND 9.8.1-P1 cache only DNS server running in Solaris 10. I have upgraded the same from 9.6.1 to 9.8.1-P1. Now i am facing "file descriptor exceeds limit (4096/4096)" error frequently on the server. Please help me on this issue! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep.tk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk match multiple columns in multiple lines in single file

Hi, Input 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 7387 7898 chrX.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr21.fa chr3.fa 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 3546 9887 chr9.fa chr5.fa 7898 7387 chrX.fa chr3.fa Desired Output 7488 7389 chr1.fa chr1.fa 2 3546 9887 chr5.fa chr9.fa 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
2 Replies
SCTP_PEELOFF(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   SCTP_PEELOFF(3)

NAME
sctp_peeloff - Branch off an association into a separate socket. SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/sctp.h> int sctp_peeloff(int sd, sctp_assoc_t assoc_id); DESCRIPTION
sctp_peeloff branches off an existing association assoc_id on a one-to-many style socket sd into a separate socket. The new socket is a one-to-one style socket. This is particularly desirable when, for instance, the application wishes to have a number of sporadic message senders/receivers remain under the original one-to-many style socket, but branch off those assocations carrying high volume data traffic into their own separate socket descriptors. RETURN VALUE
On success, the new socket descriptor representing the branched-off asociation is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EBADF sd is not a valid descriptor. EINVAL The assoc id passed is invalid or if the socket is a one-to-one style socket. ENOTSOCK Argument is a descriptor for a file, not a socket. SEE ALSO
sctp(7) sctp_bindx(3), sctp_connectx(3), sctp_sendmsg(3), sctp_send(3), sctp_recvmsg(3), sctp_getpaddrs(3), sctp_getladdrs(3), sctp_opt_info(3), Linux 2.6 2005-10-25 SCTP_PEELOFF(3)