Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add text in the middle of file Post 302176059 by sanjaypraj on Monday 17th of March 2008 08:32:44 AM
Old 03-17-2008
Try this script

[[ -z $1 ]]&& echo "Argument needed "&& exit
[[ ! -s $1 ]]&& echo "File not found "&& exit
rm -f $1New
var=`wc -l <$1`
echo "Enter line no :\c"
read lineno
echo "Enter Text:\c"
read text
head -$lineno $1 >$1New
echo "$text" >>$1New
var1=$((var-lineno))
tail -$var1 $1 >>$1New

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into the middle of a original file

how do u insert text into a specific place in a file, say the middle for example, without changing the name for that file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mopimp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1 Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a string in the middle of the file

i want to add a string in a very top of a file without using VI or SED or AWK this is what ive done: (echo '0a'; echo 'LINE OF TEXT'; echo '.'; echo 'wq') | ed -s myfile to add astrng right in the middle i could have count the lines of the file and just chenge the address. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciroredz
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text in the middle of a file

I want to insert a text into the middle of a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert text in the middle of a file

Hey guys, how do we take a line of text as an argument from a user and then insert it in the middle of a file irrespective of the number of lines in the file. I am trying to do this without SED or AWK. Inserting it in the beginning and at the end is easy, but i am trying to accomplish inserting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add a single line to middle of text file.

I've got a configuration file that is filled with xml text statements for example: <...../> <...../> <...../> <data id="java-options" value="-server -Djava.security.policy..../> <...../> <...../> <...../> I want to write a korn shell script that will go to this specific line and add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add string to middle of a file

Hi, I want to write a script that takes a file and a string as params and adds the string to the middle line of the file. Also, I want to output the results back to the original file passed without using temp files. I am very much new to UNIX so this is all a little like black magic to me at... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from middle of a file for a particular text

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the file. From the end go up to find a particular text. From this particular text till the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashriram
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Text To Middle Of File

Hi I am trying to write a bash script to add a line of text to the middle of a file. The way I worked it out was to calculate the number of lines and divide by 2. The file I am using is called newfile and it just contains lines of data. The new file I have created I have called midfile and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BundBash
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text in the middle of a file?

Hi, So far i've made a script that takes two argument, 1st is the contents and the 2nd is the named file. At the moment i've managed to insert new contents as a new line at the top, but i want to ask how can you insert contents in the middle of the file? Source Code #!/bin/bash #Write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)