Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting change the filename by adding up 1 each time, tricky one Post 302172798 by alex_5161 on Tuesday 4th of March 2008 04:15:18 PM
Old 03-04-2008
Perderabo - I beleive you that your code does work, therefore I have asked about some comments: what those characters mean and how that happened?
I could not fine any reasonable explanation. I see you using regular expresion filtering and setting extglob additionaly the extended reg-expr, but I could not understand meaning of useg characters.
Also it is surprizing to use a reg-expr inside of a variable name. That also is not obviose how it is works.

YOu are right, after setting the extglob option it is working fine.

Would you, please, give some explanation on parsing the name by different exprecion?!

Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to adding the filename into file contents

Dear Experts, Please help to teach me how to add the filename into the file content so that i can get the output below:- Actually the file name ***************New output that I want*************** =====2005-11-12===== EVENTS-20050912 03:33:37 ALARM: BTSSPAN-277-1 30-18013... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: missutoomuch
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename into file content

Dear Experts, Please help to teach me how to add the filename into the file content. Actually the file name are EVENTS-20050912. ***************New output that I want*************** EVENTS-20050912 03:33:37 ALARM: BTSSPAN-277-1 30-18013 EVENTS-20050912 12:10:28 ALARM: BTSSPAN-297-2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: missutoomuch
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

a bit tricky to change it multiple rows in one row and ...

Hi, I have an output file like: 1415971694 376 (12); 3434327831 376 (7); 2989082873 332 (3); 4075357577 332 (3); 1221064374 376 (2); 2372410470 376 (2); 2563564778 332 (2); 443221432 376 (1); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzcat into awk and then change FILENAME and process new FILENAME

I am trying to write a script that prompts users for date and time, then process the gzip file into awk. During the ksh part of the script another file is created and needs to be processed with a different set of pattern matches then I need to combine the two in the end. I'm stuck at the part... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Date & time stamps to filename

I need to edit the file name with date and time while writing the script. please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manish.s
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with adding leading zeros to a filename

Hi i need help in adding leading zero to filenames e.g file name in my folder are 1_234sd.txt 23_234sd.txt the output i need is 001_234sd.txt 023_234sd.txt can i do this shell scripting please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmpk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename to each line of the file

Hi, I am a relative new bee in scripting. I need to develop a script such that the code would iterate through each file in a source directory and append every line of the file with '|' and the corresponding file filename. eg INPUT file IF927_1.dat - H|abc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripting_newbe
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding Filename as column using sed

Hi , Can any one please tell me, how can we add the file name as column using sed. right now we are using the below awk command for adding the file name as column but when we are calling this script from datastage it is deleting the file data..very weird raised a support ticket with datastage.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mora
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding time to date time in UNIX shell scipting

I needed some help in adding a duration (in seconds) to a start time (in hhmmss format) and a start date (in mmddyy format) in order to get an end date and end time. The concept of a leap year is also to be considered while incrementing the day. The code/ function that I have formed so far is as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: codehelp04
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding timestap to filename using perl

Hello, I am trying to create a file in windows and i want the filename to have timestamp as well but something is wrong and i can not understand waht. The code that i use is the following ($cwkday,$cmonth,$cday,$ctime,$cyear) = split(/\s+/, localtime); $current_date =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
5 Replies
regcmp(1)							   User Commands							 regcmp(1)

NAME
regcmp - regular expression compile SYNOPSIS
regcmp [-] filename... DESCRIPTION
The regcmp command performs a function similar to regcmp and, in most cases, precludes the need for calling regcmp from C programs. Bypass- ing regcmp saves on both execution time and program size. The command regcmp compiles the regular expressions in filename and places the output in filename.i. OPTIONS
- If the - option is used, the output is placed in filename.c. The format of entries in filename is a name (C variable) followed by one or more blanks followed by one or more regular expressions enclosed in double quotes. The output of regcmp is C source code. Compiled regular expressions are represented as extern char vectors. filename.i files may thus be #included in C programs, or filename.c files may be compiled and later loaded. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(abc,line) applies the regu- lar expression named abc to line. Diagnostics are self-explanatory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Examples of the regcmp command. name "([A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9_]*)$0" telno "({0,1}([2-9][01][1-9])$0){0,1} *" "([2-9][0-9]{2})$1[ -]{0,1}" "([0-9]{4})$2" The three arguments to telno shown above must all be entered on one line. In the C program that uses the regcmp output, regex(telno, line, area, exch, rest) applies the regular expression named telno to line. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
A general description of the usage of the LC_* environmental variables can be found in environ(5). LC_CTYPE Determines how regcmp handles characters. When LC_CTYPE is set to a valid value, regcmp can display and handle text and filenames containing valid characters for that locale. LC_MESSAGES Determines how diagnostic and informative messages are presented. This includes the language and style of the messages, and the correct form of affirmative and negative responses. In the "C" locale, the messages are presented in the default form found in the program itself (in most cases, U.S. English). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
regcmp(3C), attributes(5), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 Dec 20 1996 regcmp(1)