Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help with creating new log file Post 302171760 by john89011 on Friday 29th of February 2008 11:45:22 AM
Old 02-29-2008
help with creating new log file

Hello,

The problem I am having now is... daily log file (xxxx.0228) exceeds it's max limit, stops logging and brings the daemon down. It won't start the daemon untill a new log file is created which happens at midnight. Once new daily log file starts, it brings up the daemon back up and starts logging again. So I need to create a script that will monitor daily logs lets say do a check every 5 mins. and if they are about to exceed the log file size limit, maybe compress the old daily log file and create a new daily log file or just create a new log file without compressing the old one and maybe send out an e-mail stating that a log file has exceeded it's limit and a new one has been created for the rest of the day. Btw I use ksh
Someone suggested logrotate.. would that help?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating log while install

hi i am using borne shell script to install a product. In the script i get from the user some input and then to do pkgadd and some sqlplus commands. I want to capture all the information to the logfile. if i use , tee command i dont get the user entered input. can u let me know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: barun007
4 Replies

2. Solaris

creating log files for a backup script on solaris

I have a simple backup script that I am running to back up drives across the network. However I need to have detailed log files for this script such as time backup started, what was backed up, if there were any errors and the time that the backup was complete. I would also like the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: valicon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a shell script for creating a log file

I have a schell script that runs continously on an AIX system. It is actually started from another shell script with the "ksh -x" command and then I just write the output to a log file. This causes the log files to be filled with mostly useless information. I would like to modify this script to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heprox
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab Error - creating zero byte log file

Hi, I am trying to run a shell script using the crontab scheduler, and I am redirecting the log of the script output to some temp log file using the following command. sh somescript.sh 1> /location/somefile.log Evrytime the cronjob triggers this script, It creates a zero byte file in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating Log files from Scripts

Hi I would like to create a log file to track the execution of my script. Example, if there were any errors, if it passed or failed etc. How do I go about doing this. My log file will be saved to this location: /var/log/import.log How do I specify the directory? I have been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

creating separate directories according to file extension and keeping file in different directory as

unix program to which a directory name will be passed as parameter. This directory will contain files with various extensions. This script will create directories with the names of the extention of the files and then put the files in the corresponding folder. All files which do not have any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deekay.p
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - help needed for creating a script to generate xml file from text file

Dear Members, I have a table in Oracle DB and one of its column name is INFO which has data in text format which we need to fetch in a script and create an xml file of a new table from the input. The contents of a single cell of INFO column is like: Area:app - aam Clean Up Criteria:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for creating log file and sending mail?

Hi , I am trying to create shell script which will help me to compare file name in two folder. There is a multiple file store in 2 folder.I want to compare that with the name. If all the file are same then send a mail that "all date is same" if not then create one log file which contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: san_dy123
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with creating script to delete log files/folders

Hi I am new to Linux / scripting language. I need to improve our Linux servers at work and looking to claim some space my deleting log files/ folders on a 5 day basis. Can someone help me with creating a script to do so. Any sample script will be helpful.:b: Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinksl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a log file and creating a report script

The log file is huge and lot of information, i would like to parse and make a report . below is the log file looks like: REPORT DATE: Mon Aug 10 04:16:17 CDT 2017 SYSTEN VER: v1.3.0.9 TERMINAL TYPE: prod SYSTEM: nb11cu51 UPTIME: 04:16AM up 182 days 57 mins min MODEL, TYPE, and SN:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
8 Replies
sa2(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    sa2(8)

NAME
sa2 -- Generate a system activity daily report file. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-dgpu] [-n mode] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i seconds] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
The sa2 command is a shell script used to invoke the system activity reporter sar for purposes of generating the standard default daily report file. The report file generated is, /var/log/sa/sardd where the dd represents the current day of the month. The sa2 options are the same as those documented in sar(1). When sa2 runs, it will also remove data and report files, found in /var/log/sa, that are more than one week old. The sa2 command is intended to be started by cron. EXAMPLE CRON ENTRY
# Starting at 8am collect system activity records # every 20 minutes for 12 hours # 20 minutes = 1200 seconds # 12 hours with 3 samples each hour = 36 loops 0 8 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 36 # After the 12 hour period, # collect a system activity report 30 20 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A FILES
/var/log/sa/sardd Default daily report file. /var/log/sa/sadd Default daily data file. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), fs_usage(1), netstat(1), sar(1), sc_usage(1), top(1), vm_stat(1), crontab(5), iostat(8), sa1(8), sadc(8) Mac OS X Jul 25 2003 Mac OS X