Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove duplicate records with out sort Post 302171655 by radoulov on Friday 29th of February 2008 06:28:00 AM
Old 02-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.batra
you can use 'uniq' command also to remove the duplicate records which is ver easy to use. Check out the man pages of this command
You need a sorted input for uniq ....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all instances of duplicate records from the file

Hi experts, I am new to scripting. I have a requirement as below. File1: A|123|NAME1 A|123|NAME2 B|123|NAME3 File2: C|123|NAME4 C|123|NAME5 D|123|NAME6 1) I have 2 merge both the files. 2) need to do a sort ( key fields are first and second field) 3) remove all the instances... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vukkusila
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to remove duplicate records with out sort

Can any one give me command How to delete duplicate records with out sort. Suppose if the records like below: 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 234,abc,456 712,bcd,789 out tput should be 345,bcd,789 123,abc,456 Key for the records is 2nd and 3rd fields.fields are seperated by colon(,). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate records

I want to remove the records based on duplicate. I want to remove if two or more records exists with combination fields. Those records should not come once also file abc.txt ABC;123;XYB;HELLO; ABC;123;HKL;HELLO; CDE;123;LLKJ;HELLO; ABC;123;LSDK;HELLO; CDF;344;SLK;TEST key fields are... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Duplicate Records

Hi frinds, Need your help. item , color ,desc ==== ======= ==== 1,red ,abc 1,red , a b c 2,blue,x 3,black,y 4,brown,xv 4,brown,x v 4,brown, x v I have to elemnet the duplicate rows on the basis of item. the final out put will be 1,red ,abc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imipsita.rath
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and Remove Duplicate on file

How do we sort and remove duplicate on column 1,2 retaining the record with maximum date (in feild 3) for the file with following format. aaa|1234|2010-12-31 aaa|1234|2010-11-10 bbb|345|2011-01-01 ccc|346|2011-02-01 bbb|345|2011-03-10 aaa|1234|2010-01-01 Required Output ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabarif16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove somewhat Duplicate records from a flat file

I have a flat file that contains records similar to the following two lines; 1984/11/08 7 700000 123456789 2 1984/11/08 1941/05/19 7 700000 123456789 2 The 123456789 2 represents an account number, this is how I identify the duplicate record. The ### signs represent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolney
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines based on field and sort

I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on field 1 and sort. I don't care about any of the other fields but I still wanna keep there data intact. I was thinking I could do something like this but I have no idea how to print the full line with this. Please show any method... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate chars and sort string [SED]

Hi, INPUT: DCBADD OUTPUT: ABCD The SED script should alphabetically sort the chars in the string and remove the duplicate chars. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds93
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate records

Hi, i am working on a script that would remove records or lines in a flat file. The only difference in the file is the "NOT NULL" word. Please see below example of the input file. INPUT FILE:> CREATE a ( TRIAL_CLIENT NOT NULL VARCHAR2(60), TRIAL_FUND NOT NULL... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate lines, sort it and save it as file itself

Hi, all I have a csv file that I would like to remove duplicate lines based on 1st field and sort them by the 1st field. If there are more than 1 line which is same on the 1st field, I want to keep the first line of them and remove the rest. I think I have to use uniq or something, but I still... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: refrain
8 Replies
UNIQ(1) 							   User Commands							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report or omit repeated lines SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Filter adjacent matching lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). With no options, matching lines are merged to the first occurrence. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines, one for each group -D print all duplicate lines --all-repeated[=METHOD] like -D, but allow separating groups with an empty line; METHOD={none(default),prepend,separate} -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields --group[=METHOD] show all items, separating groups with an empty line; METHOD={separate(default),prepend,append,both} -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of blanks (usually spaces and/or TABs), then non-blank characters. Fields are skipped before chars. Note: 'uniq' does not detect repeated lines unless they are adjacent. You may want to sort the input first, or use 'sort -u' without 'uniq'. Also, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report uniq translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), join(1), sort(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/uniq> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) uniq invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 UNIQ(1)