Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading a file using sh with spaces in filename Post 302171062 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 27th of February 2008 01:56:01 PM
Old 02-27-2008
Try the cut command.

With a space as fieldseperator you can print the 2nd and the 3th column. Check the manpage of cut.

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

prob with spaces in reading a file

i have a file in unix having data like cat dog (having spaces in the beginning) when i read it in a shell script cat file_name |while read line do echo $line done it will print cat dog spaces at the beginning are removed.... i dont want these spaces to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get the latest file by reading the date in the filename.

Hi, I grep for a pattern in a list of files. "grep -i -l $pattern *.datx*" it may give me n number of files. say for eg, it gives me 2 files. lock_eicu_20071228_00000000.dat_20071228_05343100 lock_eicu_20080501_00000000.dat_20080501_05343900 out of these 2 files I need to get the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsshini
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filename

Hello I canīt find an answer to my problem. I am trying to tar some files with spaces #!/bin/sh files="/var/installer/server Config /var/installer/client user /var/installer/Svenskt Language /var/installer/GUI user Plugin /var/installer/Firefox Plugin" tar -czvf /tmp/files.tar.gz... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lusen
14 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Matlab help! Reading in a file with a variable filename

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I want to read in a file, and plot the data in matlab. However, I do not like hardwiring filenames into my codes, so I always give the user the option to specify what the filename is. I am pretty inexperienced with matlab, so I have no... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds7202
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with spaces in filename

I have written a script to run ddrescue on a list of files. #!/bin/bash # # A script to rescue data recursively using ddrescue. srcDir=/damaged/hdd/movies/ #the source directory desDir=/new/hdd/movies/ #the destination directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: colsinc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces in filename

Hi team, Here's a requirement for me. Here are the list of files i have in a unix directory. W 2 A D_2014.csv W 3 A D_2014.csv W 4 A D_2014.csv /home/kmani00-> uname -a AIX sliyyvxx 1 6 00F613E54C00 /home/kmani00-> The file names has to be without spaces as follows. W2AD_2014.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get file from share drive when filename with spaces using samba client?

Hi Team, I am not able to get file name from shared drive when filename have spaces in it. following command i am using. filename="REP00105 - ABC XYZ (SCM)_ 1.TXT" /hfx/opt/samba220/bin/smbclient \\\\${nt_host}\\${nt_share} ${NT_PASSWORD} -U${NT_USERNAME} -c "cd ${nt_directory}; prompt;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading directory paths with spaces from a file

Hi I want to know how to handle the spaces in the below scenario. I have a file (CON_zip_path_1.txt) which has some directory paths with spaces in directory names . My requirement is to unzip these zip files to another path. Please see the code below and the error. CON_zip_path_1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
4 Replies
test(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  test(1B)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and, if its value is true, sets 0 (true) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (false) exit status is set. test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to the test command; normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. Alternatively, if /usr/bin/sh users specify /usr/ucb before /usr/bin in their PATH environment variable, then test will return true if filename exists and is (not-a-directory). This is also the default for /usr/bin/csh users. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (fifo). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user- ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group- ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than zero. -t[ fildes ] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). (expression) Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The not-a-directory alternative to the -f option is a transition aid for BSD applications and may not be supported in future releases. If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.11 1 Apr 1996 test(1B)