Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: redirect errors to log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect errors to log file Post 302170774 by gandolf989 on Tuesday 26th of February 2008 03:21:01 PM
Old 02-26-2008
Question redirect errors to log file

I am working on a generic script that will run a shell script with the arguments passed and redirect errors to one file, and all other output to another file. Then if there is anything in the error file it emails the error to me, otherwise it exits.

The advantage for this approach is that I won't need to worry about doing error handling in each shell script. I will just know that any errors encountered will get sent to me.

How can I set up the redirect to send only errors to the error log and everything else to the log?

Code:
${CMDNAME} ${ARGLIST} 1>${LOGFILE} 2>${ERROR_FILE}

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect standard error into log file

Hi, I am new in shell scripting. Can anyone point out what wrong of below script. If I want the error output to "sqlerror.log" and database pool data output to "bulk_main.dat". Right now, the below script, if successful execute, the data will output to bulk_main.dat && sqlerror.log both... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to log file

hello all, I'm invoking the program generate-report using backticks from my perl program and redirecting the output to the log file sge-stderr.log. But when i check the process using ps command it is spawing two processes where the below code is parent process and the program generate-report as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyanraj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Real time log file redirect

Hi all, i would like to write the shell script program, it can monitor the access_log "real time" when the access_log writing the line contain "abcdef" the program will be "COPY" this line into a file named "abcdef.txt", do the same thing if the contain "123456" "COPY" it into a file named... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to Redirect the error messages from Syslog file to our own Application Log File

Hello, I am New to Unix. I am Using HP-UX 9000 Series for my Application. I am Currently Facing an Issue that the error messages are being written in the syslog file instead of the Application Log File. The Codes for that Syslog.h is written in Pro*C. I want to know how to Redirect these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramaniam
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to redirect the growing contents of log file to another file in unix

how to redirect the growing contents of log file to another file in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

track the errors in log file

OS: SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 Goal: To track the errors in log file, If they exits users will be notify by email. We have a script below: SrchKey="SRVE0242I:" LogFile=/PATHtemOut.log MailTo="DN@mail.com http:// ! -f PATH/alert.last && touch PATH/alert.last egrep $SrchKey $LogFile... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdhn1900
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing errors messages into log file

Can we capture and write all the error messages which were being displayed on the command prompt screen during execution of a program into a log file? If yes, can anyone please let me know on how to do it? I am using ksh and working on AIX server. Thank you in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan log file for errors

Hi everyone. I am still new to UNIX, and am having trouble figuring out how to create a script to scan a log file to look for errors based on a string. We run AIX 5.3, and would like the ability to report all the instances of WebSphere Broker Execution groups crashing. This script would... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to Redirect Output To Log File?

I have the below script, but when i execute it is still printing to screen is there a way i can stop this and just print everything to the log file. Thank you. #!/bin/bash exec > >(tee "/var/log/ScriptLogs/called_from_incrontab.log") 2>&1 DIR="$1" FILE="$2" echo "STEP 1: Datafile... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting Errors to a Log file

Good Morning, Every so often, I have copy scripts that to don't complete, but I don't immediately know why. It usually ends up being a permissions issue or a length issue. The scripts edit a log file, so I'd like to include any copy errors/issues in that file to check if the copies... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
4 Replies
cmannotifyd(8)						     CMAN Notification Daemon						    cmannotifyd(8)

NAME
cmannotifyd - CMAN Notification Daemon SYNOPSIS
cmannotifyd [-f] [-d] DESCRIPTION
The cmannotifyd daemon talks to CMAN and provides a mechanism to notify external entities about cluster changes. CMAN dispatches 3 kind of notifications: - CMAN_REASON_TRY_SHUTDOWN when cman requests to all clients if it is allowed to shutdown. - CMAN_REASON_STATECHANGE when cman detects a node joining or leaving the cluster. - CMAN_REASON_CONFIG_UPDATE when a configuration change event has been detected/requested. These notifications are then dispatched to the shell script cman_notify in the environment variable CMAN_NOTIFICATION. cman_notify will then execute all the scripts in the configured notification directory (default: /etc/cluster/cman-notify.d) passing a very minimal set of envvars including, of course, the CMAN_NOTIFICATION= type. The execution order is set by the filename as shown by "LC_ALL=C ls -las". cmannotifyd logs are stored in the default log file (/var/log/cluster/cmannotifyd.log). cman_notify logs are stored in the default log file (/var/log/cluster/cman_notify.log). By default the output from the scripts executed by cman_notify is redirected to /dev/null. Users can either set CMAN_NOTIFICATION_DEBUG=1 in their environment or set proper debug configura- tion in cluster.conf to redirect scripts output to the cman_notify log file. NOTES
cmannotifyd does not block on cman_notify nor check the exit status of the script. Notifications are dispatched in the same order as they arrive, one by one. CMAN_REASON_TRY_SHUTDOWN is passed to scripts for information only, they can not influence cman's decsion about whether or not to shut down. CMAN_REASON_STATECHANGE also implies CMAN_NOTIFICATION_QUORUM exported in the environment. CMAN_NOTIFICATION_QUORUM will be set to 1 (when the node is part of a quorate cluster) or 0 (otherwise). A template for cman_notify scripts can be found in the doc/ directory. OPTIONS
-f Run in the foreground (do not fork / daemonize). -d Enable debug output. November 2008 cmannotifyd(8)