Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quoting problem with `date`
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Quoting problem with `date` Post 302169845 by jim mcnamara on Friday 22nd of February 2008 02:26:33 PM
Old 02-22-2008
The man page (or info) for date gives you what all of these format specifiers are.
There are a lot of them. GNU date (usually on Linux) has extras, and extra functionality POSIX date does not have those extras.

-- POSIX is a unix standard for commands, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards and quoting

Hi All In a script, I want a user to enter 4 characters, these can be a mix of letters (uppercase and lowercase) and numbers. In this example $var represents what the user has entered. eg $var can be A9xZ, 3DDL, bbHp .........etc I need to check that the user has only entered characters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

M4 quoting drives me crazy

Hi, I have trouble with quotations of the M4 preprocessor. I want to write a basic makro that removes all spaces and newlines at the end and at the beginning of a string. I tried this: define(`TRIM_END', `patsubst(`$1', `\(\\n\| \)*$', `')') define(`TRIM', `patsubst(`TRIM_END(`$1')',... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindman
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting question

hi guys, i have a question related to quoting but i am not sure how to formulate it... lets say we want to simulate the following shell actions cd ~/project-dir ctags /home/work/folder1/*.sh /home/work/folder2/*.sh /home/work/folder3/*.sh so i make the following script buidtags.sh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aegis
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh quoting enigma

(no, i can't switch shells, although i'd love to. yes, i have read http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/CshTop10.txt.) i finally managed to get an alias working the way i want it to, but i don't understand how one part of it works (highlighted in red): alias log ' \\ set x=`echo \!:1 | /bin/sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acheong87
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk quoting problem

I think this has to do with the quoting, I just feel I've been looking at it too long. Thanks ~T prompt> cat my.awk BEGIN{"date +%d%b%Y.%H%M%S" | getline sDate} { if (substr($0,151,1) ~ /6/ ) print >> sDate".NEW_ORDER.dat" # print >> sDate # note this works to output the contents to sDate,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tcstuff
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quoting Characters

I have this data how do i add ' ' to them like '-AAL00L' , '-BBE4577' , 'ABC' -AAL00L -BBE4577 ABC (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

quoting hell - help needed!!

I am writing a bash script to automate the installation of web environment on a base install of Fedora. And I'm at the limit of my last nerve and my bash skills. My brain is screaming at me: "Give up and use perl", but I am trying to stick to bash since the script will modify the perl environment... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbe
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line with match and previous line quoting/escaping problem

Hi folks, I've list of LDAP records in this format: cat cmmac.export.tmp2 dn: deviceId=0a92746a54tbmd34b05758900131136a506,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac: 00:13:11:36:a5:06 dn: deviceId=0a92746a62pbms4662299650015961cfa23,ou=devices,ou=customer,ou=nl,o=upc cmmac:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomas.polak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell quoting problem while editing a remote file using sed

value of i = solarisbox ssh $i "cat /etc/hosts | sed "s/$i\.local\.//" | sed "s/$i\./$i/" | sed "s/$i/$i.sol.com/" > /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts"While running the above one liner its i am not able to make the changes and write it to the file /usr/users/chidori/edit_hosts . I know there is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash quoting

I am trying to write a BASH script that will prompt a user to enter a number of days, then calculate the date. My problem is the date command uses single or double quotes. For Example.. date -d "7 days" Here is an example of some same code I am trying to work through. echo "when do you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javajockey
4 Replies
DATETIME.FORMAT(3)							 1							DATETIME.FORMAT(3)

DateTime::format - Returns date formatted according to given format

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public string DateTime::format (string $format) DESCRIPTION
string DateTimeImmutable::format (string $format) string DateTimeInterface::format (string $format) Procedural style string date_format (DateTimeInterface $object, string $format) Returns date formatted according to given format. PARAMETERS
o $object -Procedural style only: A DateTime object returned by date_create(3) o $format - Format accepted by date(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the formatted date string on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTime.format(3) example Object oriented style <?php $date = new DateTime('2000-01-01'); echo $date->format('Y-m-d H:i:s'); ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create('2000-01-01'); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d H:i:s'); ?> The above example will output: 2000-01-01 00:00:00 NOTES
This method does not use locales. All output is in English. SEE ALSO
date(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIME.FORMAT(3)