Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl: How do I remove leading non alpha characters Post 302169674 by ghostdog74 on Friday 22nd of February 2008 03:45:18 AM
Old 02-22-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha
Also the field may contain "/" e.g. "ef=a/b" how do I avoid this to be misinterpreted as the field separator?
the simplest way to tackle this problem is at the source, by not using "/" as the field separator.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove special characters from text using PERL

Hi, I am stuck with a problem here. Suppose i have a variable which is assigned some string containing special charatcers. for eg: $a="abcdef^bbwk#kdbcd@"; I have to remove the special characters using Perl. The text is assigned to the variable implicitly. How to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agarwal
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remove leading spaces

Hi Experts, In a file tht i copied from the web , i am not able to remove the leading white spaces. I tried the below , none of them working . I opened the file through vi to check for the special characters if any , but no such characters found. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim leading zeros to make field 6 characters long

Hi all- I've got a file that will have multiple columns. In one column there will be a string that is 10 digits in length, but I need to trim the first four zeros to make it 6 characters? example: 0000001234 0000123456 0000234566 0000000321 output: 001234 123456 234566 000321 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove junk characters using Perl

Guys, can you help me in removing the junk character "^S" from the below line using perl Reference Data Not Recognised ^S Where a value is provided by the consuming system, which is not reco Thanks, M.Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove last 4 characters with non-unique pattern.

Hi, I'm writing a ksh script and trying to use an awk / sed / or perl one-liner to remove the last 4 characters of a line in a file if it begins with a period. Here is the contents of the file... the column in which I want to remove the last 4 characters is the last column. ($6 in awk). I've... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or trim to remove non alphanumeric and alpha characters?

Hi All, I am new to Unix and trying to run some scripting on a linux box. I am trying to remove the non alphanumeric characters and alpha characters from the following line. <measResults>883250 869.898 86432.4 809875.22 804609 60023 59715 </measResults> Desired output is: 883250... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackma
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expression to remove the special characters

I had a string in perl script as below. Tue Augáá7 03:54:12 2012 Now I need to replace the special character with space. After removing the special chaacters Tue Aug 7 03:54:12 2012 Could anyone please help me here for writing the regular expression? Thanks in advance.. Regards, GS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Pattern to remove words with less than 2 characters.

Hello. I've been thinking about how to go about this. I know I'm close but still does not work. I need to remove any word in that is not at least 2 characters long. I've removed all the non-alphabetic characters already (numbers included). Here's an example: my $string = "This string is a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D2K
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does this sed expression to remove non-alpha characters work?

Hello! I know that this expression gets rid of non-alphanumeric characters: sed 's///g' and I understand that it is replacing them with nothing - hence the '//'-, but I don't understand how it's doing it. It seems it's finding strings that begin with alphanumeric and replacing them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgnersoon2be#1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove leading spaces

OS : RHEL 6.7 Shell : bash I am trying to remove the leading the spaces in the below file $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 Expected output is shown below. $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies
HOTSWAPRC(5)							File Formats Manual						      HOTSWAPRC(5)

NAME
hotswaprc - configuration file for hotswap DESCRIPTION
/etc/hotswaprc is the global configuration file for the hotswap utility. It allows system administrators to specify arbitrary shell scripts to be run after a device is inserted, as well as before and after it is removed. Scripts are selected according to the model name retrieved from the device. This is particularly helpful for automatic configura- tion of CD-RW drives, which require SCSI emulation and bypass normal access via the IDE subsystem. hotswaprc is implemented as an Extensible Mark-up Language (XML) application. XML documents are structured using elements of the form <tag-name> content <tag-name>. A Document Type Definition (DTD) describes the possible content of each element. Please refer to the XML specification for more information. The hotswap distribution also contains an example file, doc/hotswaprc.example, which includes the DTD for the configuration file format. ELEMENTS
<hotswap> This is the root element of the document. Each valid hotswaprc must contain exactly one <hotswap> element. The <hotswap> element may contain an arbitrary number of <device> elements. <device> The configuration file contains one <device> element for every device for which scripts are defined. The <device> element is com- posed of the following elements in this order: <name>, <post-insert>, <pre-remove>, <post-remove>. All but <name> are optional. <name> The content of this element is the model identification string of the IDE device the current <device> element refers to. <post-insert> Contains the shell script that is to be executed after the device has been inserted and registered with the kernel. <pre-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run before hotswap attempts to unregister the device. <post-remove> Contains the shell script that is to be run after the device had been unregistered. REPORT BUGS
Report bugs to t.stadelmann1@physics.ox.ac.uk. AUTHOR
Written by Tim Stadelmann. SEE ALSO
hotswap(1), xhotswap(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002-2003 Tim Stadelmann. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), Version 2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. 26th November 2002 HOTSWAPRC(5)