Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: diff part of file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting diff part of file Post 302169172 by minifish on Wednesday 20th of February 2008 01:39:23 PM
Old 02-20-2008
one interesting thing is using "cat tfile1 | cut -c10- >$f1out "
tfile1 and f1out must be different.
is there any way to replace the same file?
what about "sed"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Compare and Create New File with Diff

I need to compare File A with File B and create FILE C with the difference record only. What I mean is File A has 3 records and File B has 4 records, so FILE C will only have 1 record (becuase that record is in FILE B and not in File A). Hope I am making sense. The data layout is that each data... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
7 Replies

3. Linux

Understanding a diff file

Hi folks, I am having difficulties in understanding diff file. I would like to know what the following means in a diff file ex: 202a251,253 1,102c120,126 I believe 'a' will be 'append'. Line 202 appended to line 251. but why there is 253 ???. Like the above if any one can tell me how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simulate SVN diff using plain diff

Hi, svn diff does not work very well with 2 local folders, so I am trying to do this diff using diff locally. since there's a bunch of meta files in an svn directory, I want to do a diff that excludes everything EXCEPT *.java files. there seems to be only an --exclude option, so I'm not sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ackbarr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach diff filename in diff location using shell scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. please help me to find out the solution. I need a script where we need to read the text file(consists of all file names) and get the file names one by one and append the date suffix for each file name as 'yyyymmdd' . Then search each file if exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff output to text file

Hi All, When I write the diff command output(side by side format) to a file and viewed on the desktop using any text editor(say Notepad) the format of the output layout isn't the same as it should be, though "Wordwrap" option is disabled. Which means left and right records are not on same line.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Badhrish
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)