Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity How to disable RIP and enable EGP Post 302168776 by stringman on Tuesday 19th of February 2008 12:18:55 PM
Old 02-19-2008
Actually, we are not even connected to the internet. Our system is stand-alone. I know it's silly for Security to require this fix, but you can't fight the government. The concern is that someone will physically gain access to our system and therefore, come from our internal network. We don't even have a firewall, just a virus scan that must be run manually and Tripwire. But that's Ok w/ Security Smilie. However, they will not re-accredit our system unless we disable the RIP agent and use an EGP routing protocol (thier exact words).

stringman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Enable and disable ttyS0

I have a modem connect it to ttyS0 , in unix sco i know i can disable and enable the port , how can i do this , is there a command that will allow me to do this. **** I'm running Redhat 9 *****External Usrobotics 56k Thanks a lot guys (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josramon
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disable and Enable Backspace or Ctrl^H in vi

Could anybody tell me how I can disable or enable the backspace key in vi editor. I would like to feel the essence of the commands of vi editor but as I have the latest version and it is supporting the backspace key. I do it on promp using the command stty erase - This command stops the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobile01
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enable & disable cronjob

Hi All, I am new to cronjob and need some guidance on this. 1) How do i enable a cronjob ? Can it be done by "crontab mycronfile" or "crontab -e mycronfile" 2) How can i disable the cronjob? Can deleting of the "mycronfile" disable the cron or do i need to perform "crontab -r mycronfile"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

4. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable RIP in SCO Uniix

Is it possible to switch off RIP protocol in SCO Unix - if so how's it done ?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dewi.edwards
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to disable Enable/Disable Tab Key

Hi All, I have bash script, so what is sintax script in bash for Enable and Disable Tab Key. Thanks for your help.:( Thanks, Rico (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carnegiex
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab: disable/enable

since i don't have root access, i have been doing: crontab -l > /tmp/username.crontab crontab -r vi /tmp/username.crontab and copy page crontab -e, and paste sometimes, /tmp/username.crontab has more than 1 page, so i have to copy twice. how do i copy all contents from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Enable and disable the auto mount

How to enable and disable the auto mount option for USB devices.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
3 Replies

9. HP-UX

FTP service Enable/Disable

hi everybody, I can easily enable /disable the FTP service from SAM, how can I do this via command line? using inetd? how? cheers, messi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: messi777
1 Replies

10. Infrastructure Monitoring

OID to disable/enable printing

Hi @ all, we are a non-profit educational organisation. Now my company wants to disable printers, when a room is not used. I do a lot monitoring, using snmp. So I had the idea of disabling and enabling the printers by using snmp. After searching for hours, I only found some status-objects (ro)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karls0
1 Replies
gated(1M)																 gated(1M)

NAME
gated - gateway routing daemon SYNOPSIS
buffer_size] trace_options] config_file] [trace_file] DESCRIPTION
is a routing daemon that handles multiple routing protocols and replaces routed, egpup, and any routing daemon that speaks the HELLO rout- ing protocol. currently handles the RIP, BGP, EGP, HELLO, and OSPF routing protocols. The process can be configured to perform all rout- ing protocols or any subset of them (see below). Options The command-line options are: Specifies a buffer size for the socket read/write buffer. The buffer size should not be less than one MB (megabyte) and should not exceed the available system memory. If this option is not specified, the buffer size will be set to the available system memory. Specifies that the configuration file will be parsed for syntax errors and then will exit. will leave a dump file in if there were no errors. does not need to be run as the superuser to use the option but it may not be possible to read the kernel forwarding table and interface configuration if not run as superuser. The option implies All trace_option clauses in the configuration file will be ignored. Specifies that the configuration file will just be parsed for syntax errors. will exit with a status 1 if there were any errors and 0 (zero) if there were not. does not need to be run as the supe- ruser to use the option but it may not be possible to read the kernel forwarding table and interface configuration if not run as the superuser. Specifies that will not modify the kernel forwarding table. This is used for testing configurations with actual routing data. Specifies that will not daemonize. Normally, if tracing to stderr is not specified will daemonize if the parent process ID is not that of the ini- tialization process (aka This allows the use of an method of invoking that does not have a PID of the initialization process. Specifies that will add routes to the kernel in the decreasing order of IP addresses of gateways when there are multiple routes to a destination. Specifies a comma separated list of trace options to be enabled on startup. If no flags are specified, is assumed. No space is allowed between this option and it's arguments. This option must be used to trace events that take place before the configuration file is parsed, such as determining the interface configuration and reading routes from the kernel. See the for valid trace options and a more detailed explanation of tracing. Use an alternate config file. By default, uses trace_file Trace file in which to place trace information. If a trace file is specified on the command line, or no trace flags are specified on the command line, detaches from the terminal and runs in the background. If trace flags are specified without specifying a trace file, assumes that tracing is desired to stderr and remains in the foreground. Signal Processing The following signals may be used to control Re-read configuration. A causes to reread the configuration file. first performs a clean-up of all allocated policy structures. All BGP and EGP peers are flagged for deletion and the configuration file is re-parsed. If the re-parse is successful, any BGP and EGP peers that are no longer in the configuration are shut down, and new peers are started. attempts to determine if changes to existing peers require a shutdown and restart. OSPF is not capable of reconfiguring; it is shutdown and restarted during a reconfiguration. This may have an adverse impact on the routing system. It should also be possible to enable/disable any protocol without restarting Snap-shot of current state. The current state of all tasks, timers, protocols and tables are written to On systems supporting this is done by forking a subprocess to dump the table information so as not to impact routing functions. On systems where memory management does not support copy-on-write, this will cause the address space to be duplicated; this may cause a noticeable impact on the system. On system not supporting the main process immediately processes the dump, which may impact routing functions. Graceful shutdown. On receipt of a attempts a graceful shutdown. All tasks and protocols are asked to shutdown. Most will terminate imme- diately, the exception being EGP peers which wait for confirmation. It may be necessary to repeat the once or twice if it this process takes too long. All protocol routes are removed from the kernel's routing table on receipt of a Interface routes, routes with RTF_STATIC set (from the route command where supported) and static routes specifying will remain. To terminate with the exterior routes intact, use Toggle tracing. On receipt of a will close the trace file. A subsequent will cause it to be reopened. This will allow the file to be moved regularly. It is not possible to use if a trace file has not been specified, or tracing is being performed to stderr. Check for interface changes. On receipt of a will rescan the kernel interface list looking for changes. WARNINGS
contains provisions for BGP protocol, but it is not officially supported by HP at the present time. Some RIP version 2 features (RFC1388) are not currently supported: MIB and route tag. The optional OSPF version 2 (RFC1247) feature of TOS (type of service) based routing is not supported. The route aggregation, generating a more general route from compressing the specific routes through the explicit configu- ration, is not supported in this release. AUTHOR
was primarily developed by Cornell University which includes code from the Regents of the University of California and the University of Maryland. This software and associated documentation is Copyright 1990, 1991, 1992 by Cornell University. SEE ALSO
gated.conf(4), arp(1M), fork(2), gdc(1M), ifconfig(1M), netstat(1), ospf_monitor(1M), ripquery(1M), RFC 891 DCN Local-Network Protocols (HELLO) RFC 904 Exterior Gateway Protocol Formal Specification RFC 1058 Routing Information Protocol RFC 1163 A Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) RFC 1164 Application of the Border Gateway Protocol in the Internet RFC 1247 OSPF Specification, Version 2. gated(1M)