Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell program
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting shell program Post 302168767 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 19th of February 2008 11:22:05 AM
Old 02-19-2008
I seem to get:
1. you want one line
2. you want to specify which line
3. you want the output to be like the file
one way:
Code:
which_line=4
awk -v w=$which_line 'NR==w' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me with this Shell Program

Now, am in a very tight situation here. I really dont expect anyone to understand but please, try your best. am trying to right a program that goes back to the previous entry to correct a mistake. heres what am trying to do. i write a program like this Name : James Holgston... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell Program

Hellow every body I am trying to write a very simple script in an executable file as following if ($?PWD) then echo "OK" else echo "No" endif but I am getting error during execution in c shell as synthax error at line 4 , unexpected end of file Please advise (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

3. Programming

Shell Program

I am programming the following simple shell program. It works for the most part, things like 'ls' and 'ps' work just fine. However when I add options, (example, ls -l) it does not execute the command. Also, I've been trying to add an "exit" command, so that I don't have to use the iterrupt; but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TexasGuy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

How to write a shell script which takes 3 strings as positional parameters,first and second are file names and third is a directory.if the two files exist in `pwd` and they contain a specific pattern and their size is greater than 32 bytes,moves these files into directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshparsa
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program

hello, i have problem in awk filter in shell to concatenate two string plz send me a solution as soon as possible from jyoti ardeshana (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotiardeshana
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

very first shell program.

in the beginners book i have it gives an exercise to try. saying to make a script that examines the time. it should keep examining every second or so and say some sort of message. Can anyone help me get going. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell program

I want to print the value of variables a1, a2, a3 in for loop in the following program: a1=this a2=is a3=printed for((i=1;i<4;i++)) do var=a$i #w=`echo $var` e=${var} echo $e done But actually I get a1,a2,a3 as the output not the "this is printed" So the main question is if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgarg
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program , need help!!

Hi all, I am trying to get a file from an ftp server and i have the list of files which needs to be get from the ftp server. grep unix_prg*.* log.txt > log1.txt log1.txt (which has the list of files) 06-29-09 00:00AM 3550258 unix_prg090629 06-28-09 07:00PM ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
7 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell program in C

Hi all, I have an assignment from school to write a shell program in linux. the idea is to exercise fork() and execv() functions.. the shell program is supposed to be the master and every command that the user prints will run in a new process. we also need to try running the command in every... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: r3vive
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

C shell program

1. I've have to write a shell program that accepts Ctrl+T (in linux os in c language) and should print out the current time and date to the screen. I've written the following code but i've to type ^T individual rather than pressing ctrl+T(^T) to get the output. : 2. How do i make the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorro_phu
2 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)