Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help need to find the length of a variable Post 302168315 by chella on Monday 18th of February 2008 02:20:53 AM
Old 02-18-2008
Hi,

Instead of using a while,you can use awk to find the length of each line.

Code:
awk '{len=length($0);print len;}' file

Regards,
Chella

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Length of a variable

Hi, I have another question, I am very new to scripting. I am using c shell. I am trying to get the length of a variable. Right now I am using set var = 12 echo $#var but the # operator isn't working, it is telling me that the length is 1 when it is obviously two.... help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karyn1617
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split variable length and variable format CSV file

Dear all, I have basic knowledge of Unix script and her I am trying to process variable length and variable format CSV file. The file length will depend on the numbers of Earnings/Deductions/Direct Deposits. And The format will depend on whether it is Earnings/Deductions or Direct Deposits... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chechun
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing a variable length text to a fixed length

Hi, Can anyone help with a effective solution ? I need to change a variable length text field (between 1 - 18 characters) to a fixed length text of 18 characters with the unused portion, at the end, filled with spaces. The text field is actually field 10 of a .csv file however I could cut... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
X86DIS(1)							     libdisasm								 X86DIS(1)

NAME
x86dis - disassemble a bytestream of Intel x86 instructions SYNTAX
x86dis [-a offset|--addr=offset] [-r offset len|--range=offset len] [-e offset|--entry=offset] [-s name|--syntax=name] [-d name|--desc=name] [-f file|--file=file] [-o file|--out=file] [-l file|--log=file] [-p num|--pagesize=num] [-h|-?|--help] [-v|--version] DESCRIPTION
A command-line interface to the libdisasm disassembler library. OPTIONS
At least one option from the list -a, -e, -r must be given. -f, --file=file Read input bytes from file instead of stdin -o, --out=file Write output to file instead of stdout -l, --log=file Log errors to file instead of stderr -p, --pagesize=num Set page size for buffering STDIN to num (default 512K) -s, --syntax=name Set output syntax to name, where name is one of intel (Intel syntax), att (AT&T syntax), raw (libdisasm syntax) -d, --desc=name Print a description of syntax name -a, --addr=offset Disassemble single instruction at offset -e, --entry=offset Disassemble forward from offset -r, --range=offset len Disassemble len bytes starting at offset All offset and len parameters are expected to follow the conventions used in strtoul(3), where hexadecimal numbers have the prefix 0x, octal numbers have the prefix 0, and decimal numbers have no prefix. A value of 0 for len indicates that that range extends to the end of the file. EXAMPLES
cat `which ls` | x86dis -s intel -e 0x00 -r 0x00 -1 -a 0xEEEE x86dis -e 0 -s intel < bootsect.img x86dis -d -s raw -f a.out -e `readelf -h a.out | grep Entry | awk '{ printf( "0x%%x", strtonum($4) - 0x8048000 ) }` echo '55 89 e5 83 EC 08' | perl -ane 'foreach(@F){print pack("C",hex);}'| x86dis -e 0 -s att NOTES
x86dis performs no file format parsing, nor any verification that its input is in fact executable binary code. All offsets are assumed to be from the start of the file, with no load addresses applied. The intent is to provide a bytestream disassembler rather than an object file disassembler. Descriptions of the various output formats can be obtained using the -d option. AUTHORS
mammon_ <mammon_@users.sourceforge.net> SEE ALSO
bastard(1), libdisasm(7), x86_disasm(3), x86_format_insn(3), x86_init(3) mammon_ 0.21 X86DIS(1)