Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to create a list of entries without vi Post 302166869 by rikxik on Wednesday 13th of February 2008 02:14:37 AM
Old 02-13-2008
Try out this:

Code:
echo "hello" > file.txt

Also check what this does:

Code:
echo "world" >> file.txt

That has your answer (among many other solutions).

HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a dynamic list?

Hi falks, I need to write a function in k-shell which cd to root directory and ask the user which sub directory you want to tar. The user will select directories untill quit. How to do it? Thanks in advance, Nir (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a phone list

Is there a step by step instructions for creating a simple phone list? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: organcory
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create range from a list

Hello everyone, I am trying to create a script that will make a range or ranges based on a sorted list of numbers. Eg. If the list is like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13 14 15 The output range should be: 1-7 12-15 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: run_time_error
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create list in command line

How do you create lists or arrays in the command line? And how do you access specific cells of the list? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of directory contents

Well I did a search and didn't anything for my specific case. I got a directory with a bunch of text file. All of them have the following pattern on the filename "ABCD_<As of Date>.txt" Example: ABCD_20110301.txt ABCD_20110302.txt ABCD_20110303.txt All I want to accomplish is a Korn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shark Tek
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create files from a list and then populate them

I have a list of filenames that I want created - they must be created via a certain naming convention due to the software I'm using. Once they are created I have another file that will be used to populate them with data. So far this is what I have: #For each line in text file "foo_txt" create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable to create a list

Hi all, I couldn't find an answer for this easy question, probably because the keywords I used in the search are too generic. I just want to make a list of numbers using the value of a variable, like this: NumFiles=$(ls | wc -l) for i in {1..$NumFiles}; do Say $NumFiles = 5. Bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aquila
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of missing files

Hello Guys I have a big list of files in one directory. And Some are missing . Example ls -l 2191off-r0.sps 2193off-r0.sps 2194off-r0.sps 2197off-r0.sps 2198off-r0.sps 2200off-r0.sps I would like to create a file with the list only missing files. Or if is possible to create in ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to create mailing list in openldap?

Hi. I want to create mailing list in my directory, however standart object classes groupOfUniqueNames and groupOfNames don't contain mail attribute. What is the common way to create mailing list in openldap? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create a list from minimum and maximum

Using the input file for each row , using columns 1 (min) and 2 (max) , and with increment of 4 each time I want to create the output file. Input file 1000 1012 2000 2001 2000 2008 3000 3001 Output desired 1000 2000 2001 1004 2000 2001 1008 2000 2001 1012 2000 2001 2000 3000 3001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
5 Replies
XtCreatePopupShell(3Xt) 					   XT FUNCTIONS 					   XtCreatePopupShell(3Xt)

NAME
XtCreatePopupShell, XtVaCreatePopupShell - create a popup shell SYNTAX
Widget XtCreatePopupShell(String name, WidgetClass widget_class, Widget parent, ArgList args, Cardinal num_args); Widget XtVaCreatePopupShell(String name, WidgetClass widget_class, Widget parent, ...); ARGUMENTS
args Specifies the argument list to override the resource defaults. name Specifies the text name for the created shell widget. num_args Specifies the number of arguments in the argument list. parent Specifies the parent widget. widget_class Specifies the widget class pointer for the created shell widget. ... Specifies the variable argument list to override the resource defaults. DESCRIPTION
The XtCreatePopupShell function ensures that the specified class is a subclass of Shell and, rather than using insert_child to attach the widget to the parent's children list, attaches the shell to the parent's pop-ups list directly. A spring-loaded pop-up invoked from a translation table already must exist at the time that the translation is invoked, so the translation manager can find the shell by name. Pop-ups invoked in other ways can be created ``on-the-fly'' when the pop-up actually is needed. This delayed creation of the shell is particularly useful when you pop up an unspecified number of pop-ups. You can look to see if an appropri- ate unused shell (that is, not currently popped up) exists and create a new shell if needed. SEE ALSO
XtCreateWidget(3Xt), XtPopdown(3Xt), XtPopup(3Xt) X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface Xlib - C Language X Interface XFree86 Version 4.7.0 XtCreatePopupShell(3Xt)