Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove specific lines from flat file using perl Post 302166739 by rvegmond on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 04:50:37 PM
Old 02-12-2008
the * stands for "match 0 or more times", think you need to escape the *:

if ($line =~ /^\*/){

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove specific lines from a file

Hi there I have a file with a variable amount of rows but the 45th, 46th and 47th charachter of each line is the status field which is a three digit code ie 001, 002, 003 etc. My question is this..I need to strip all the records/lines with 002's out of the file completely and put them into... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove specific lines from a file

When restoring a file in my uninstall program I need to remove the lines I added to a file during the install. In between the file can be modified by the users. Assume file1 is as follow: xxx str2 xxxx ..... ...The Following lines containing str* have to be removed... xxx str1 xxxx xxx ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the lines from file using perl

Can anyone tell me what could be the solution to following : I have one .txt file which contains some seed information. This seed may appear multiple time in the file so what I want do is if this seed appears again in the file then that line should be removed. here is the contents of .txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipakg
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the specific lines from file using perl

Can anyone tell me what could be the solution to following : I have one .txt file which contains some "seed" information. This seed may appear multiple time in the file so what I want do is if this seed appears again in the file then that line should be removed. Please provide the script code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipakg
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove specific lines from a file (reprise)

Hello, I've to change the shell in /etc/passwd for some users . I've the list of users but I'm not able to modify the file with scripting . I'm working on a Sol10 . Can anyone help me ? tnks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to remove the first line from a flat file ?

Hi, I want to remove the first line from a flat file using unix command as simple as possible. Can anybody give me a hand ? Thanks in advance. xli (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: xli
21 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search flat file in specific byte

I am on AIX Unix. I want to read a flat file for a string in a certain byte. I want to find the value: 943034 in column 56; and write out just those records to another file. Also, could I get the line/record number of where it was found in the input file? Thank you, sboxtops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove somewhat Duplicate records from a flat file

I have a flat file that contains records similar to the following two lines; 1984/11/08 7 700000 123456789 2 1984/11/08 1941/05/19 7 700000 123456789 2 The 123456789 2 represents an account number, this is how I identify the duplicate record. The ### signs represent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolney
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove duplicates in flat file

Hi all, I have a issues while loading a flat file to the DB. It is taking much time. When analyzed i found out that there are duplicates entry in the flat file. There are 2 type of Duplicate entry. 1) is entire row is duplicate. ( i can use sort | uniq) to remove the duplicated entry. 2) the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samjoshuab
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines in file if specific field matches

I am trying to remove lines in the target.txt file if $5 before the - in that file matches sorted_list. I have tried grep and awk. Thank you :). grep grep -v -F -f targets.bed sort_list grep -vFf sort_list targets awk awk -F, ' > FILENAME == ARGV {to_remove=1; next} > ! ($5 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)