Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX PAM status 28 - account disabled Post 302166619 by CBorgia on Tuesday 12th of February 2008 10:34:04 AM
Old 02-12-2008
PAM status 28 - account disabled

I frequently rexec into a remote box to run a job, occaisionally I get the the error message "rexecd: Account Disabled" and in the remote box syslog I see "rexecd: PAM - status 28 PAM error message: account is disabled". After a 1/2 hour or so the problem goes away. Anyone shed any light on whether status 28 is significant or what might lead to this sort of transient problem?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to enable a disabled Unix account on HP-UX

I am very new to Unix. We have a Unix user account that was disabled due to multiple tries with an invalid password. How to enable the account? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kajap
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Root account disabled and unable to access console

Hi, hope someone could help me here: Our root account was disabled on our production server this morning and usually we would login at the console to re-enable the account. However we are unable to get a login prompt at the console. The console displays the 8 options along the bottom and a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AaronC
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

root - "Account is disabled"

Hi. I have an issue with root account. System doesn't let me to log on, because accound is disabled/locked. This problem since I have converted passwords file to data base using SAM. I didn't change user's parameters. Somebody knows how can i enable my root account back? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: netwalker
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

5. SuSE

PAM password change failed, pam error 20

Hi, I use a software which can create account on many system or application. One of resource which is managed by this soft his a server SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64). patch level 3. This application which is an IBM application use ssh to launch command to create account in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scabarrus
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

PAM: Unlock user account after 30mins

Hi We have these specific requirements for a bunch of servers we have and cannot seem to get pam to behave in this way. We would like: PAM locks accounts if pam tally reaches 10. PAM unlocks the account after 30mins from locking it, and resets the pam_tally. The key is that we don't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoop2048
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Why icon in status bar is disabled?

Below the list of command to explain the status michelangeli@hp:~$ lspci -nn | grep -i net 02:00.0 Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03) 04:00.0 Network controller : Ralink corp. RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelangeli
6 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Simultaneously try to execute commands after connecting to remote account to one account

I have made password less connection to my remote account. and i tried to execute commands at a time. but i am unable to execute the commands. ssh $ACCOUNT_DETAILS@$HOST_DETAILS cd ~/JEE/*/logs/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kishored005
1 Replies

9. SCO

SCO 5.0.7 server - Message - Root Account is disabled - but allowing entry via daemon.

SCO 5.0.7 server on an HP Proliant ML350G5 with E200 raid controller. The message on the server during boot says this message in several places. "Root Account Disabled, but allowing entry via deamon" At this point, there are some hardware issues to work through first. One is that we don't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjdavis618
2 Replies
in.rexecd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     in.rexecd(1M)

NAME
in.rexecd, rexecd - remote execution server SYNOPSIS
in.rexecd DESCRIPTION
in.rexecd is the server for the rexec(3SOCKET) routine. The server provides remote execution facilities with authentication based on user names and passwords. It is invoked automatically as needed by inetd(1M), and then executes the following protocol: 1. The server reads characters from the socket up to a null () byte. The resultant string is interpreted as an ASCII number, base 10. 2. If the number received in step 1 is non-zero, it is interpreted as the port number of a secondary stream to be used for the stderr. A second connection is then created to the specified port on the client's machine. 3. A null terminated user name of at most 16 characters is retrieved on the initial socket. 4. A null terminated password of at most 16 characters is retrieved on the initial socket. 5. A null terminated command to be passed to a shell is retrieved on the initial socket. The length of the command is limited by the upper bound on the size of the system's argument list. 6. rexecd then validates the user as is done at login time and, if the authentication was successful, changes to the user's home direc- tory, and establishes the user and group protections of the user. If any of these steps fail the connection is aborted and a diagnostic message is returned. 7. A null byte is returned on the connection associated with the stderr and the command line is passed to the normal login shell of the user. The shell inherits the network connections established by rexecd. USAGE
in.rexecd and rexecd are IPv6-enabled. See ip6(7P). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), inetd(1M), inetadm(1M), svcadm(1M), rexec(3SOCKET), attributes(5), smf(5), ip6(7P) DIAGNOSTICS
All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection associated with the stderr, after which any network connections are closed. An error is indicated by a leading byte with a value of 1 (0 is returned in step 7 above upon successful completion of all the steps prior to the command execution). username too long The name is longer than 16 characters. password too long The password is longer than 16 characters. command too long The command line passed exceeds the size of the argument list (as configured into the system). Login incorrect. No password file entry for the user name existed. Password incorrect. The wrong password was supplied. No remote directory. The chdir command to the home directory failed. Try again. A fork by the server failed. /usr/bin/sh: ... The user's login shell could not be started. NOTES
The in.rexecd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/rexec:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). Responsibil- ity for initiating and restarting this service is delegated to inetd(1M). Use inetadm(1M) to make configuration changes and to view config- uration information for this service. The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 4 Nov 2004 in.rexecd(1M)