Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Timezone in +/-HHMM format
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Timezone in +/-HHMM format Post 302165610 by adderek on Friday 8th of February 2008 09:33:10 AM
Old 02-08-2008
$ /opt/exp/gnu/bin/date +%z
$ /opt/exp/gnu/bin/date +%Z
EST

Make sure you are using GNU date.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timezone

Hello again, under hp-ux i have a file /etc/TIMEZONE. here is definied which timezone i am. i dont know who reads this file to set after reading the timezone under /usr/lib/tztab. my 2 questions, who reads the file /etc/TIMEZONE ( which service ) and do i need in the first line to set my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ortsvorsteher
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Timezone

Hi, I got an question about changing timezone thrue command line on a SunOS Release 4.1.2 without restarting the computer. Now it's set on WET and I want to set the timezone to CET (GMT +1) Plz somebody help me. Regards Novisern:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Novisern
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timezone

Hi, i am searching to change the timezone on a HP-UX11 system. Since last weekend the summertime started i am not able to change the time to the new time, every day the time changes back to wintertime. I think the problem is that the server is on the wrong timezone. Can someone help me please?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eddyvdv
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timezone

HI ; I got Solaris8 installed oon Sunfire V440 .I have TZ=GMT in /etc/TIMEZONE , but when i log in as root i see the date in GMT+1. So i have every time to "set TZ=GMT ; export $TZ" . How can i set the TZ=GMT at the startup defenitely. Thanks :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: oss
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Crontab and timezone

I am running SunOS 5.6. If I login with a ksh shell and type 'date'. I get the correct date and time related to the TZ, that is, >Tuesday July 27 09:50:25 NZST 2004 However, if I run under crontab, I get this. >Mon Jul 26 20:49:00 ESTEDT 2004 My question is; Does anyone know how to fix this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbeard
2 Replies

6. AIX

Timezone Setting

Hi On several AIX 5.3 LPARs the timezone is currrently set to: TZ=NZST-12NZDT,M9.5.0/02:00,M4.1.0/03:00 Daylight savings in NZ starts on Sun 28th Sep 2008, which is the fourth Sunday. Do I need to change my TZ variable to NZST-12NZDT,M9.4.0/02:00,M4.1.0/03:00 or will AIX interpret the fifth... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiwiP
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timezone not changed.

Hi All, While installing Red Hat Linux, I tried changing the timezone to Japan for testing.But the timezone was not set to Japan. I tried other timezones , but they didn't work as well. I am guessing the problem might be due to some missing rpm.Does anyone has any idea or faced a similar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nua7
1 Replies

8. Solaris

TIMEZONE problem..

hii there... can you guys help me with TIMEZONE setting on my solaris box i tried to edit cat /etc/TIMEZONE..but i think it will work after rebooting, but something i did which took me to GMT my problem is i have this issue on a server, and i have to fix this without rebooting. thanks for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 6pound
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with Timezone locale.

HI Gurus, I have a issue. One of our applications needs the data loads with the timezone (CST) but our zones run on GMT. I tried to change the TZ value under /etc/default/init value but it seems to effect the the whole zone. Is there any way I can just set up the TZ as CST for a particular user.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

Getting numeric timezone on HP-UX

Hi I thought the UNIX command date is universal and so I have been using date +%z to get the numberic timezone offset (e.g. -0500) however on HP-UX, this is not returning expected results; on my machine it returns the name of the time zone (e.g. EST) not numbers. does anyone know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
2 Replies
tzselect(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      tzselect(1M)

NAME
tzselect - select a time zone SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks you a series of questions about the current location and outputs the resulting time zone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All user interaction is through standard input and standard error. OPTIONS
The tzselect command has no options. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Timezone information was successfully obtained. >0 An error occurred. FILES
/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo directory containing timezone data files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
zdump(1M), zic(1M), ctime(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2001 tzselect(1M)