Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris how to restriction directory size in solaris Post 302165406 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 7th of February 2008 05:39:08 PM
Old 02-07-2008
You can put that directory on it's own volume and mount it.
Otherwise I'd suggest looking into the quota tool.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail 8.9 file size restriction

We use version 8.9 of sendmail. I am wondering if there is a file size restriction that limits the size of the file to be sent? If there is how can I check to see? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dtooth71
1 Replies

2. Programming

size of a directory

hai friends I need a program to find the size of a directory.. When i tried to get the size, it always gives the default space allocated for it. How can i findout the exact size of a directory using a c program Thanks in advance Collins (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Directory restriction warning

Platform: AIX Shell: KSH Does anyone have a good way of warning users that when they do a 'vi' in a certain directory that they cannot save any changes in that directory. For instance, if I have a production id that has all scripts in /myprod/dir, and if anyone comes to this directory and does... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giannicello
1 Replies

4. AIX

size of directory with ls -l

hello When i do a "ls -l" in a directory (Aix 5.3), i have the result : >ls -l total 65635864 -rw-r--r-- 1 lobi system 2559909888 Feb 20 15:06 cible5.7bdat -rw-r--r-- 1 lobi system 1020098870 Feb 20 13:06 cible6.7bdat -rw-r--r-- 1 lobi system 1544789511 Feb 20 11:06 cible9.7bdat -rw-r--r--... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory tree with directory size

find . -type d -print 2>/dev/null|awk '!/\.$/ {for (i=1;i<NF;i++){d=length($i);if ( d < 5 && i != 1 )d=5;printf("%"d"s","|")}print "---"$NF}' FS='/' Can someone explain how this works..?? How can i add directory size to be listed in the above command's output..?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Directory restriction for specific users on Solaris

Hi all, i have a question about directory accessing. Question: therese is a x user which can login system, x user can only access specific directories on the system, even y directory has r-x access right for OTHER, x user will not access the y directory. this x user must access specific... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nibiru78
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris local access restriction other than sshd_config?

Hi All, As part of LDAP implementation we need to restrict users/groups locally on solaris machine: Options tried: sshd_config: as far as my testing it is restricting either user or group, as per the first preference. pam_access.so by default I am unable to find(need some help if this is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sridaran
0 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff -- turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] -a quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have disk quotas turned off. The filesystem must be mounted and it must have the appropriate mount option file located at its root, the .quota.ops.user file for user quota configuration, and the .quota.ops.group file for group quota configuration. Quotaon also expects each filesystem to have the appropriate quota data files located at its root, the .quota.user file for user data, and the .quota.group file for group data. These filenames and their root location cannot be overridden. By default, quotaon will attempt to enable both user and group quotas. By default, quotaoff will disable both user and group quotas. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable any filesystems with an existing mount option file at its root. The mount option file specifies the types of quotas that are to be configured. -g Only group quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.group, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -u Only user quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.user, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. Specifying both -g and -u is equivalent to the default. Quotas for both users and groups will automatically be turned on at filesystem mount if the appropriate mount option file and binary data file is in place at its root. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution October 17, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution