Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting capture ftp return code..PLZ HELP Post 302164801 by anju on Wednesday 6th of February 2008 01:12:39 AM
Old 02-06-2008
Data capture ftp return code..PLZ HELP

Hi all,
i have written a code to ftp a file from one server to other.The ftp is happeneing successfully,but i am not able to capture the return code,to check if ftp has failed.

plz help me to find out the return code....this is urgent

below is the code i have written
Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------#
#Start the ftp session
#--------------------------------------------------------------------#
	ftp -n $DEST_HOSTS << END 
	quote user $LOGIN
	quote pass $PASSWORD
	cd $DEST_DIR
	ascii
	mput $SRC_FILE 
	END
	quit
     rc=$?
     echo "Return Code:$rc"
     if [ $rc -ne 0 ]
     then
        echo "$ScriptName: Error in ftp the file $SRC_FILE  to $DEST_HOSTS"
        exit 1
     fi
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------#

Thanks in Advance

Anju

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 04-03-2008 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

return code on ftp if filesystem full??

Does anyone know what the return code will be if an ftp fails because the /var/tmp filesystem is full? AIX 4.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Oracle return code in shell script

I am using the following code in my shell script list=`sqlplus -s $user/$pwd@$dbms<<EOF WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select * from control_tbl where src_nm=$3 and extrct_nm=$4; exit SQL.SQLCODE; EOF` ERROR=$?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
1 Replies

3. Programming

getting the return code of forked child process (ftp)

Hi, From within my C++ program, I fork a child process and execl an ftp session (solaris), like this : std::string szStartCmd = "ftp -i -n -v 192.168.149.31"; int nExecRes = execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", szStartCmd.c_str(), (char *)0); I use 2 pipes to communicate between my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KittyJ
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Return Code

Hi All, I have a problem to identify the error code thrown by FTP Server while uploading files. The message is : ftp return 32. I couldn't find out what is the meaning of that. :confused: OS is Sun Solaris 2.10. Anyone can help? Thanks a lot (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonSurya
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

No return code in ftp mget script

I have a automated FTP script that gets a file using mget. I am using mget because the date will change on the file frequently. The mget works, however if I incorrectly type the file (e.g. if I want to get /dog123 and I enter /dg*) I do not receive and error code from in the FTP session. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dog123
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ftp return code not working

below is my code , but for some reason the return part is not working, only file transfer is happening and no exit status is checked .please me help me to fix this code #!/bin/sh #set -vx ftp -nv sitelocation << ! user username password lcd localdir cd /remote dir mget *.* ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files and capture return code

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files, and have a return code write to a file. regardless of the files contents are the same the code should be writing to a file (if both files contents are same then return code 0). A simple example will be great :) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture script return code?

Hi I am executing database backup via shell script (Korn). The backup log is long, but I would like to capture only the last line so I can send an email if it fails Example of failed backup (only last 3 lines) BR0056I End of database backup: bejbofoh.aff 2012-07-26 07.31.21 BR0280I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture 3 digit return code of ftp??

is it possible to capture the 3 digit return code of ftp commands in a local variable inside a shell script? Code: ftp remoteserver << EOFTP quote USER uid quote PASS pass prompt cd remote_directory mput file.txt bye EOFTP in the above script, if cd ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to retry FTP commands if unsuccessful and capture the failure status code.

I am using the below code to ftp file onto another server FTP_LOG_FILE=${CURR_PRG_NAME}- ${FTP_FILE}-`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.log ftp -ivn ${FTP_HOST} ${FTP_PORT} << ENDFTP >> ${EDI_LOG_DIR}/${FTP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 user ${FTP_USER} ${FTP_PSWD} lcd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
2 Replies
SIMPLEFTP(1)						    InterNetNews Documentation						      SIMPLEFTP(1)

NAME
simpleftp - Rudimentary FTP client SYNOPSIS
simpleftp url [...] DESCRIPTION
simpleftp is a Perl script that provides basic support for fetching files with FTP in a batch oriented fashion. It takes one or more FTP URLs on the command line. The file(s) will be retrieved from the remote server and placed in the current directory with the same basename as on the remote; e.g., <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active.gz> is stored as active.gz in the current directory. The script properly understands usernames, passwords and ports specified as follows: ftp://user:password@host:port/path/file BUGS
simpleftp is an extremely poor substitute for more complete programs like the freely available wget or ncftp utilities. It was written only to provide elementary support in INN for non-interactive fetching of the files in <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/pgpcontrol/> or <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/> without requiring administrators to install yet another package. Its shortcomings as a general purpose program are too numerous to mention, but one that stands out is that downloaded files by simpleftp override existing files with the same name in the local directory. HISTORY
Tossed off by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Rewritten to use "Net::FTP" by Julien Elie. $Id: simpleftp.pod 8357 2009-02-27 17:56:00Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
actsync(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 SIMPLEFTP(1)