Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File encoding in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File encoding in Unix Post 302164160 by ssmallya on Monday 4th of February 2008 04:47:06 AM
Old 02-04-2008
Question File encoding in Unix

How do i set the character encoding/get it clarified in a Unix script? Is there any command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

no SOAP encoding under unix?

Under Unix however we had many many many many problems. We had to use Ansi2utf8(), repstr() and XMLval() to prevent "Invalid token" errors. And because we didn't know what the raw XML result was, it allways was a big problem to find the cause of it. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devotedsinner
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinment
2 Replies

3. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin vi XML file encoding problem

Hi, I have got a zip (binary) file transferred from MacOS (thus it has additional __MACOSX directory packed inside). On extracting this zip, there are few *.xml files available. When I opened this *.xml file in vim editor using Cygwin (on windows) the editor displayed in the bottom. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux

how to find the character encoding of a file in hp_ux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determing the encoding of a file

Hi, I am trying to determine the encoding for the file, because to convert to UTF-8, it seems as though I have to know the encoding of the source. Tried this file <filename> give me this: <filename>:data or International Language text Tried to see the locale and this is the output:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arabic encoding using Unix commands

I am using sed on Arabic file (utf-8 encoding) like bellow: sed 's/./& /g' file and all I get is: 1 ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? I tried change the LANG variable to LANG=en_US.UTF-8 but I still get the same "?" output. What is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viernes
1 Replies

9. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know file encoding?

how can i know what format a file is * example: UTF-8 ANSI UCS2 i am in a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
8 Replies
source(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							 source(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
source - Evaluate a file or resource as a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
source fileName source -encoding encodingName fileName | _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command takes the contents of the specified file or resource and passes it to the Tcl interpreter as a text script. The return value from source is the return value of the last command executed in the script. If an error occurs in evaluating the contents of the script then the source command will return that error. If a return command is invoked from within the script then the remainder of the file will be skipped and the source command will return normally with the result from the return command. The end-of-file character for files is "32" (^Z) for all platforms. The source command will read files up to this character. This restriction does not exist for the read or gets commands, allowing for files containing code and data segments (scripted documents). If you require a "^Z" in code for string comparison, you can use "32" or "u001a", which will be safely substituted by the Tcl interpreter into "^Z". The -encoding option is used to specify the encoding of the data stored in fileName. When the -encoding option is omitted, the system | encoding is assumed. EXAMPLE
Run the script in the file foo.tcl and then the script in the file bar.tcl: source foo.tcl source bar.tcl Alternatively: foreach scriptFile {foo.tcl bar.tcl} { source $scriptFile } SEE ALSO
file(n), cd(n), encoding(n), info(n) KEYWORDS
file, script Tcl source(n)