Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with history and grep Post 302163925 by cleansing_flame on Sunday 3rd of February 2008 10:09:52 AM
Old 02-03-2008
thank you very much

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

history awk grep sort

can someone help me in the awk part...little confuse on that part. The problem is this: what input each utility gets and what it does with data and what output is provides to the next utility) history | awk '{a++}END{for(i in a){print a " " i}}' | sort -rn | grep '^' Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to review the history and the commands that has been done in this history?

Hello every body, Kindly inform me How Do i find out the time I executed a command previously on UNIX Solaris?? To be more specific and more clear about what i want to know is that I want a command the enables me to know the history and which command i run at this history/time. FYI I used... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep with history command

Hi, history 800 | grep mail 387 mailx -s "test from `hostname`" mohtashims@gmail.com < /dev/null 388 mailx -s -a /tmp/hello.zip "test from `hostname`" mohtashims@gmail.com < /dev/null 389 mailx -s "test from `hostname`" mohtashims@gmail.com < /dev/null 390 mailx -s ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shifahim
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing dot history file

Hi, I tried to grep ".sh_history" (DOTsh_history) file and did not return anything though I found the word in .sh _history file through vi editor in Linux. Then I tried to grep ".profile" to check if it is the prob with hidden files and I got results. Then I verified the same with my friend... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

History to Another file [local user history , but root access]

Hi all, My need is : 1. To know who , when , which command used. 2. Local user should not delete this information. I mean , with an example , i can say i have a user user1 i need to give all the following permissions to user1, : a. A specific directory other than his home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriky86
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX History | YouTube Video

I am pleased to announce this new video in 1080 HD for UNIX lovers honoring thirty years of UNIX history spanning from 1969 to 1999 presented in 150 seconds (two and a half minutes) in 1080 HD, celebrating the 50th anniversary of UNIX. The Great History of UNIX (1969-1999) | 30 Years of UNIX... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)