Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: string comparison
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting string comparison Post 302163594 by Jatsui on Friday 1st of February 2008 02:52:04 PM
Old 02-01-2008
string comparison

Hello experts,

(tcsh shell)

Quite new to shell scripting...

I have got a file with a single word on each line. Want to be able to make a comparison such that i can read pairs of words that are ROT13 to each other. Also, i would like to print the pairs to another file.

Any help appreciated....

Thanks in advance !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

String Comparison

Hi all, I have a file like this ibhib=ere wefwfl=werfe sfdes=wef From this file, i need to get the lefthand side string with respect to the corresponding righthand side string. i.e, I need to get the string "ere" with respect to "ibhib". But i am stuck with how to compare a string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abey
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

string comparison

The script will read a bunch of names, and test if it contains "John", but as below apparently ~ does not work, so what is the easiest way to perform string comparison in bash shell script? thanks ... elif then echo "get John" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string comparison

Hi Guys i need to write a script to check the file structure I have added the the file headers in the configuration file and execute the file at the start of the script. Now the function checkFileStructure() { echo "Inside the function" filetocheck=$1 fileheader=$2 if ] then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Swapna173
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String Comparison

I'm running the following script to compare string values to a regexp: for entry in $(lpinfo -v | cut -c 1-); do if then echo "blah" continue fi done Whenever I run it, each token of lpinfo is being interpreted as a command and I get errors such as: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypnotic_meat
2 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need Help on String Comparison

Hi , My requirement is to read from a file into a variable. I need to check if the variable is equal to string "no rows selected". The sh script snippet is as follows: file=/data/lpgtwo/home/nikhilp/TriggerNames.txt echo $file var=`cat $file` echo $var if then echo "No... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MNG
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string comparison

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf MACHINE_NAME=`uname -n` TIME=`date +"%H"` $PRINTF "Welcome to $MACHINE_NAME. What is your name?\n" read NAME if ; then $PRINTF "Good morning $NAME, how are you?\n" elif ; then $PRINTF "Good afternoon $NAME, how are you?\n" else $PRINTF "Good... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

passing letters from an array into a string for string comparison

attempting the hangman program. This was an optional assignment from the professor. I have completed the logical coding, debugging now. ##I have an array $wordString that initializes to a string of dashes ##reflecting the number of letters in $theWord ##every time the user enters a (valid)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotsofideas
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparison

hi team, i want to compare the below string from logs, but its is not working. if ]; then echo "restart some process" fi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfaizan40
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk string comparison unterminated quoted string andrule of thumb

I have the logic below to look up for matches within the columns between the two files with awk. In the if statement is where the string comparison is attempted with == The issue seems to be with the operands, as 1. when " '${SECTOR}' " -- double quote followed by single quote -- awk matches... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deadyetagain
1 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)