Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Problem to track process IDs in HP-UX machine Post 302163537 by vbe on Friday 1st of February 2008 09:39:28 AM
Old 02-01-2008
I remember seing some issues due to a security patch...removing permissions on some commands...
So my point of vue is if you were not allowed to use fuser (I found a box like that...) the message would be: cannot execute:

ra:/opt/java/bin $ fuser -cu /opt
/usr/bin/ksh: fuser: cannot execute
ra:/opt/java/bin $ ll /usr/sbin/fuser
-r-xr--r-- 1 bin bin 24576 Aug 3 2000 /usr/sbin/fuser
ra:/opt/java/bin $ exit
ra:/opt/java/bin $ cd
ra:/home/vbe $ cp /usr/sbin/fuser .
ra:/home/vbe $ ll fuser
-r-xr--r-- 1 vbe bin 24576 Feb 1 15:32 fuser
ra:/home/vbe $ fuser -cu /opt
/opt: 3738mto(root) 3116mt(root) 3729mto(root) 3225mto(lp) 29018mcto(ratel) 3259mto(root) 3263mto(root) 3733mto(root) 3588mt(root) 3301mto(root) 3354mt(root) 3687co(nursery) 527mcto(omv) 3392mto(root) 3724mto(root) 3712mto(root) 3741mto(root) 4289mcto(omv) 3755mto(root) 4281mcto(omv) 27936c(ratel) 5320mto(root) 16447c(ratel) 7269mto(root) 4808mct(root) 5332mto(root) 5333mto(root) 1435mt(root) 29005c(ratel) 28971c(vbe) 14287c(vbe) 26547c(ratel) 28972c(vbe) 21845c(ratel) 14305mt(vbe) 1947co(nursery)

ra:/home/vbe $

So I wonder if it isnt more on the filesystem you have no rights...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

List of Thread IDs of a process

Hello, Can some one tell how to read the thread IDs of the current process in Sun Solaris. Any help will be appreciated. regards, Murali (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmurali
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Track Sftp process

Hi, I am using sftp in my bash script. I wanted to know whether if there is any way that we can track whether sftp has been successful or not.. Does sftp return any codes? Thanks in adv (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: borncrazy
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to loop all process ids and take pmap

Hi all, I need a script that will loop around all the current processes and take a pmap -x <process id> and output each pmap to a separate file. Would anyone have a quick command to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to track and later kill a process in a script

Hello, I am trying to write a script that turns off the screensaver for a certain period of time, then come back on. I have had it up and running for a while, but then I decided to refactor it a bit for my family members that are less computer savvy. I am starting a subshell for the "meat" of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Scripting - process and user ids...Help please

Hello all: Working on a job I was asked get a simple script to perform the following task and would like to ask for some help. I'm looking forward to learning more and diving deeper into the World of Open Source servers. I need a script for a Unix server, using as few lines as possible, that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moahten
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Track Child process exit

hi, I have a job that spawns multiple child processes in background.. Catch is i want to wait for some jobs to finish before i spawn more background processes. (each job creates a file and deletes at the end of it . so i don't want start new jobs after x amount of disk size is used up) now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak_saravanan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps returning more process ids

Please help me with this question I have a tantan.sh under /home/mydir which is a caller to another script "tantan.sh" under /home/anotherdir ----------------------------------------------------------- /home/mydir/tantan.sh ------------------------------------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruincredible
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search process ids

Hi, I have four tomcat instances named PNK, PNK1, PNK2, PNK3. All are running on the same server. To kill tomcat instance I usually do below for PNK1,PNK2,PNK3 kill -9 `ps -ef|grep tomcat|grep PNK1|grep -v grep|awk '{print $2}'` But the above command does not work for PNK. Can some... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lpprasad321
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List out Process ids restarted today

Hi, I need to list out the processes which are started/restarted today in my Solaris box. If not possible need to convert the process uptime in minutes or seconds and compare it with a configurable value to list out those process ids for further processing in my scripting. Can any one guide... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Some trace file to track timings of a process

I will initiate a process from Server1 and the flow is as follow Server1 --> Web server --> Application server --> DB Server Note all seperate unix servers. Now I need to put a trace for that process to track the timings from each server. Like the below trace should be there: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saraperu
5 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)