Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quick one
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Quick one Post 302163154 by kekanap on Thursday 31st of January 2008 05:49:12 AM
Old 01-31-2008
help please. Anyone.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i need quick help???...please

hey guys i'm new in this world " unix " i wanna any websites can help me to learn unix or any websites i can download UNIX from it thanks :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: M_Hafez
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quick question

from command prompt I did grep two words on a same line for eg: grep abc | grep xyz and I got tht particular line, but I want to know when I vi that file how to directly search for that particular line? I appreciate if any one can provide answer, thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkolishetty
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hello all, Quick question from a fairly new to Unix developer. if then completedLogFile=$logfile.$(date +%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S) mv $logfile $completedLogFile fi I understand that this portion of code is simply copying a tmp logfile to a completed logfile when a condition is true. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnnyBoy
2 Replies

4. AIX

quick question

Hi, At best I'm a junior admin with a big problem. My developers have got my root password and mgmt insists they need it. I can't even change it when people knowing it leave. I'm certain they've hardcoded it into routines. I've searched my servers and grepped everything & can't find it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: keith.m
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need quick help

I have one script that named testing.sh #cat testing.sh #/bin/bash echo "Enter your name:" read name #./testing.sh Enter your name: Sanjay What I need it should take Input in the same prompt(mean to say dun go for next line) like given below. #./testing.sh Enter your name:Sanjay ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Quick help!

Hi, iam trying to use lofiadm in solaris 5.10 but getting the following error.. bash-3.00# lofiadm -a /asmdisks/_file_disk1 lofiadm: /dev/lofictl: No such file or directory i dont see lofictl file in /dev .. i checked in other similar machines..i found this file..can i export this file from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rags_s11
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick question

When I have a file like this: 0084AF aj-123-a NAME Ajay NAME Kumar Engineer 015ED6 ck-345-c 020B25 ef-456-e 027458 pq-890-p NAME Peter NAME Salob Doctor 0318F0 xy-123-x NAME Xavier Arul NAME Yesu Supervisor 0344CA de-456-d where - The first NAME is followed by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick question

Hi guys Quick question Im creating an FTP server and im chrooting each user to there home directory blah blah. Ive also setup scponly so there locked etc. Im a novice at unix and have just reaslised the primary group of scponly is the username of one of the ftp users... which im sure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
1 Replies
log(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    log(8)

NAME
log - Records input and output from a program SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/log <logfile> <command> OPERANDS
The file in which to record the interaction being logged. The command to execute. DESCRIPTION
The log program runs <command> and logs the input to and output from <command> to the <logfile> file. Input and output are logged until <command> exits, the log program exits, and the exit status of <command> is returned. The log program is used by the system installation procedure and the it(8) command to create the /var/adm/smlogs/install.log and /var/adm/smlogs/it.log installation log files. RESTRICTIONS
Because the log program is used in the installation standalone environment, program size was the greatest concern in its implementation. The log program does not search for the PATH variable to locate <command> and error messages are terse. The log program causes <command> to take standard input from and write standard output and standard error to UNIX pipes. Some commands will not be able to operate in this environment; therefore, it is suggested that you use the script(1) command instead. UNIX shells will not issue prompts when run from log unless the shell is started with an explicit interactive switch (-i for most shells). For example, log foo.tmp /sbin/sh -i In the previous example, foo.tmp is the name of <logfile>. The log program intercepts end-of-file (usually Ctrl/d). Therefore programs which normally receive end-of-file as an exit command must exit by some other means. ERRORS
Log open error Explanation: The log program was unable to open <logfile>. Verify that the directory exists and that ownerships and permissions are set correctly. Exec Error Explanation: The log program was unable to execute <command>. Verify that you specified a full pathname for <command> and that <command> is an exe- cutable file. Fork Error Explanation: The log program was unable to create one of the processes it requires to log data. SEE ALSO
Commands: it(8), script(1) log(8)