Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trouble with UNIX tr (translate) function Post 302162925 by by_tg on Wednesday 30th of January 2008 05:12:04 PM
Old 01-30-2008
Trouble with UNIX tr (translate) function

UNIX script - problem.

I want the spaces in my Item variable to be replaced with a question mark. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? This is the whole code line.

Item | tr -s " " "?"

Why is this not making any changes to the Item value?

Thanks for any help you can give!
tg

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Cannot translate Unix executable files

Help!! I loaded OS X Panther on my Mac G4 and found that many files previously saved as txt files were inadventently converted to Unix executable files. When I try to read these in Word, the Word filters cannot recognize or translate the file properly. Does anyone know how to translate these files?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Steven Greenber
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble using substr function with Bourne shell script

Hi, I'm a newbie to UNIX scripting and I'm having some trouble compiling my script. I'm using the Bourne Shell and cannot seem to use the substr function correctly. I'm trying to extract the last two digits of a year that's stored in a variable based off of a condition. I've searched the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: E2004
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to achicve translate in unix

hi, i have file with 4 columns, the first column contains 10 numbers. i want to replace t the numbers (u can say i want to use cryptography). i want to replace 1 with 4, 2 with 5, 3 with 9..... how can i achieve this in unix. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javeed7
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Having trouble finding good unix study material

I am trying to read about a UNIX distribution list but I cannot seem to find out what it is or where I can find a website to read more on it any help would be greatly appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: starshot
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

unix script trouble

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi I am new to unix and need some help, the main reason I am here is because i need basic unix knowledge The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krolike
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

!!VERY URGENT!! Trouble in getting user input, while using under CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can someone please help me translate this UNIX script to English?

Hi guys, I'm trying to create a DataStage job and I'm basing it off an existing similar project. The 'Input' value of the job is: (where "/DATA/CSV_FILES" is where all the files were located) My understanding is that for each CSV, it added the 'filename' as Column A. And then it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedunnyman
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble Assigning Variable with Function

OSX 10.9 Good morning/afternoon/evening. I'm hoping to get some insight on assigning a variable when calling a function. The code below looks at my array and checks if the path exists. My actual code will have multiple arrays and I would like to define a specific array when I call the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
6 Replies
wxTreeCtrl(3erl)					     Erlang Module Definition						  wxTreeCtrl(3erl)

NAME
wxTreeCtrl - See external documentation: wxTreeCtrl. DESCRIPTION
See external documentation: wxTreeCtrl . Note: The representation of treeItemId() have changed from the original class implementation to be an semi-opaque type,Equality between TreeItemId's can be tested and zero means that the TreeItem is invalid. DATA TYPES
wxTreeCtrl() : An object reference, The representation is internal and can be changed without notice. It can't be used for comparsion stored on disc or distributed for use on other nodes. EXPORTS
new() -> wxTreeCtrl() See external documentation . new(Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow)) -> wxTreeCtrl() Equivalent to new(Parent, []) . new(Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow), Options::[Option]) -> wxTreeCtrl() Types Option = {id, integer()} | {pos, {X::integer(), Y::integer()}} | {size, {W::integer(), H::integer()}} | {style, integer()} | {validator, wx() (see module wx)} See external documentation . addRoot(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Text::string()) -> integer() Equivalent to addRoot(This, Text, []) . addRoot(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Text::string(), Options::[Option]) -> integer() Types Option = {image, integer()} | {selectedImage, integer()} | {data, term()} See external documentation . appendItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::integer(), Text::string()) -> integer() Equivalent to appendItem(This, Parent, Text, []) . appendItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::integer(), Text::string(), Options::[Option]) -> integer() Types Option = {image, integer()} | {selectedImage, integer()} | {data, term()} See external documentation . assignImageList(This::wxTreeCtrl(), ImageList::wxImageList() (see module wxImageList)) -> ok See external documentation . assignStateImageList(This::wxTreeCtrl(), ImageList::wxImageList() (see module wxImageList)) -> ok See external documentation . collapse(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . collapseAndReset(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . create(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow)) -> bool() Equivalent to create(This, Parent, []) . create(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::wxWindow() (see module wxWindow), Options::[Option]) -> bool() Types Option = {id, integer()} | {pos, {X::integer(), Y::integer()}} | {size, {W::integer(), H::integer()}} | {style, integer()} | {validator, wx() (see module wx)} See external documentation . delete(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . deleteAllItems(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> ok See external documentation . deleteChildren(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . editLabel(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> wxTextCtrl() (see module wxTextCtrl) See external documentation . ensureVisible(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . expand(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . getBoundingRect(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Rect::{X::integer(), Y::integer(), W::integer(), H::integer()}) -> bool() Equivalent to getBoundingRect(This, Item, Rect, []) . getBoundingRect(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Rect::{X::integer(), Y::integer(), W::integer(), H::integer()}, Options::[Option]) -> bool() Types Option = {textOnly, bool()} See external documentation . getChildrenCount(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() Equivalent to getChildrenCount(This, Item, []) . getChildrenCount(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> integer() Types Option = {recursively, bool()} See external documentation . getCount(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> integer() See external documentation . getEditControl(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> wxTextCtrl() (see module wxTextCtrl) See external documentation . getFirstChild(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> {integer(), Cookie::integer()} See external documentation . getNextChild(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Cookie::integer()) -> {integer(), Cookie::integer()} See external documentation . getFirstVisibleItem(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> integer() See external documentation . getImageList(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> wxImageList() (see module wxImageList) See external documentation . getIndent(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> integer() See external documentation . getItemBackgroundColour(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> colour() (see module wx) See external documentation . getItemData(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> term() See external documentation . getItemFont(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> wxFont() (see module wxFont) See external documentation . getItemImage(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getItemImage(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> integer() Types Option = {which, WxTreeItemIcon} WxTreeItemIcon = integer() See external documentation . WxTreeItemIcon is one of ?wxTreeItemIcon_Normal | ?wxTreeItemIcon_Selected | ?wxTreeItemIcon_Expanded | ?wxTreeItemIcon_SelectedEx- panded | ?wxTreeItemIcon_Max getItemText(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> string() See external documentation . getItemTextColour(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> colour() (see module wx) See external documentation . getLastChild(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getNextSibling(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getNextVisible(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getItemParent(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getPrevSibling(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getPrevVisible(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> integer() See external documentation . getRootItem(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> integer() See external documentation . getSelection(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> integer() See external documentation . getSelections(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> {integer(), Val::[integer()]} See external documentation . getStateImageList(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> wxImageList() (see module wxImageList) See external documentation . hitTest(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Point::{X::integer(), Y::integer()}) -> integer() See external documentation . insertItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::integer(), Pos::integer(), Text::string()) -> integer() Equivalent to insertItem(This, Parent, Pos, Text, []) . insertItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::integer(), Pos::integer(), Text::string(), Options::[Option]) -> integer() Types Option = {image, integer()} | {selImage, integer()} | {data, term()} See external documentation . isBold(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> bool() See external documentation . isExpanded(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> bool() See external documentation . isSelected(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> bool() See external documentation . isVisible(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> bool() See external documentation . itemHasChildren(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> bool() See external documentation . prependItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::integer(), Text::string()) -> integer() Equivalent to prependItem(This, Parent, Text, []) . prependItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Parent::integer(), Text::string(), Options::[Option]) -> integer() Types Option = {image, integer()} | {selectedImage, integer()} | {data, term()} See external documentation . scrollTo(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . selectItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . selectItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> ok Types Option = {select, bool()} See external documentation . setIndent(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Indent::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . setImageList(This::wxTreeCtrl(), ImageList::wxImageList() (see module wxImageList)) -> ok See external documentation . setItemBackgroundColour(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Col::colour() (see module wx)) -> ok See external documentation . setItemBold(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok Equivalent to setItemBold(This, Item, []) . setItemBold(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> ok Types Option = {bold, bool()} See external documentation . setItemData(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Data::term()) -> ok See external documentation . setItemDropHighlight(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok Equivalent to setItemDropHighlight(This, Item, []) . setItemDropHighlight(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> ok Types Option = {highlight, bool()} See external documentation . setItemFont(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Font::wxFont() (see module wxFont)) -> ok See external documentation . setItemHasChildren(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok Equivalent to setItemHasChildren(This, Item, []) . setItemHasChildren(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> ok Types Option = {has, bool()} See external documentation . setItemImage(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Image::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . setItemImage(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Image::integer(), Options::[Option]) -> ok Types Option = {which, WxTreeItemIcon} WxTreeItemIcon = integer() See external documentation . WxTreeItemIcon is one of ?wxTreeItemIcon_Normal | ?wxTreeItemIcon_Selected | ?wxTreeItemIcon_Expanded | ?wxTreeItemIcon_SelectedEx- panded | ?wxTreeItemIcon_Max setItemText(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Text::string()) -> ok See external documentation . setItemTextColour(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer(), Col::colour() (see module wx)) -> ok See external documentation . setStateImageList(This::wxTreeCtrl(), ImageList::wxImageList() (see module wxImageList)) -> ok See external documentation . setWindowStyle(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Styles::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . sortChildren(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . toggle(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . toggleItemSelection(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . unselect(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> ok See external documentation . unselectAll(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> ok See external documentation . unselectItem(This::wxTreeCtrl(), Item::integer()) -> ok See external documentation . destroy(This::wxTreeCtrl()) -> ok Destroys this object, do not use object again AUTHORS
<> wxErlang 0.98.9 wxTreeCtrl(3erl)