Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix 10.2 Backup Problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix 10.2 Backup Problem Post 302162624 by vbe on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 01:08:14 PM
Old 01-29-2008
Not sure what to advise you (english isnt my language so forgive my mistakes...)
- backup isnt what we can call a standard command, I suppose you will see by typing file <path>backup as a script... and so I dont know what it does exactly...

- I suppose to go through as I would with such issue:
Get a tape head cleaner and have a go at cleaning the device
Prepare a new tape and insert it in the device

I dont know what commands are on a B class (worksation serie 700) I know only 800 (servers) but if you have fbackup/frecover command I would do a man and try to use these commands
Also tapes depending of which device was used DO NOT rewind after... and this may be why you cannot restore

I would do an ioscan -funC tape and it should display something like:
/sm/doc # ioscan -funC tape
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
=====================================================================
tape 0 8/16/5.0.0 stape CLAIMED DEVICE HP C1533A
/dev/rmt/0m /dev/rmt/c1t0d0BEST
/dev/rmt/0mb /dev/rmt/c1t0d0BESTb
/dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rmt/c1t0d0BESTn
/dev/rmt/0mnb /dev/rmt/c1t0d0BESTnb
You should have your device on /dev/rmt/XmY
X=0,1,2,3...
Y= <blank>, b, n, nb
the meaning of Y is b for best n for no rewind
the idea is once we know what device to use, lets say /dev/rmt/1m
we use the no rewind device in order to use the mt command
once ready lets see if the tape is at the beginning:
mt -t /dev/rmt/1mn rew
# What is the result? (is it rewinding? proving you were at the end of writing explaining why it had nothing the restore?)
mt -t /dev/rmt/1mn offl to after, eject the tape.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup problem

Hi all what may be the cause when i try to restore the backup (TAR) It's giving error tar block size =1 directory checksum error please suggest as soon as possible try n learn praful (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I am running my solstice backup 5.5.1 server on a solaris 2.6 platform. I have a remote client ; my mailserver also running solaris 2.6. I created a unique pool and group for my mailserver, but when i label to pool, mount and run backup, it doesnt backup my mailserver, rather it gives me error... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup problem---Again

I tried backing up my mailserver on my nsrhost using solstice backup 5.5.1 software. After creating the usual custom settings, and starting the backup procedure using the group control button, backup initializes but the group backup becomes suspended. When i click on the details radio button in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lealyz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Backup Problem?

Hi. Can someone please tell what the following tape error message means: Read end of medium on output If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready This message comes after the terminal displays a few files from the directory I'm trying to backup. The command I'm running is: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Problem with Database backup

Hi! This is my first post and im not that familiar with UNIX but I'll try to explain my problem.. I have a server here at work running Open UNIX Release 8.0.0 It has a special application on it that I'm trying to run a database backup on. For the last 2 weeks this has failed.. Usually the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TaZ
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with backup script

Hi, Following is the script I made for backing up Cpanel server. ================================================ #! /bin/bash rsync -raopguzl --delete --exclude "*.tar.gz" --progress --delete-excluded root@$hostname:/$otherdir/$i/ /mnt/iscsi/$hostname/home/$i done ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohitmoudgil
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please : Script Backup Problem

I have script but not work.. ===================================== #!/bin/bash # backup Backup_Dirs="/home/test" Backup_Dest_Dir=/tmp Backup_Date=`date +%b%d%y` #Create Backup tar cvzf $Backup_Date.tar.gz $Backup_Dirs $Backup_Dest_Dir ====================================== What's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

problem in backup

Hi I am using Ubuntu back up program to the back up automatic. Problem is that recently the app start to fail. I get the following message: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1359, in <module> with_tempdir(main) File "/usr/bin/duplicity", line 1342,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Backup setting problem

the way that i use to backup my server is using the script below in ssh. mysqldump --opt -Q -u username -p password > /var/www/squiro/sql/database.sql but i want to set the server backup everyday at 1pm in same folder. is that set it in crontab-e? how to set it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mampwamp
3 Replies
device_maps(4)							   File Formats 						    device_maps(4)

NAME
device_maps - device_maps file SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/device_maps DESCRIPTION
The device_maps file contains access control information about each physical device. Each device is represented by a one line entry of the form: device-name : device-type : device-list : where device-name This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the physical device. This field contains no embedded white space or non- printable characters. device-type This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the generic device type. This field identifies and groups together devices of like type. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-list This is a list of the device special files associated with the physical device. This field contains valid device special file path names separated by white space. The device_maps file is an ASCII file that resides in the /etc/security directory. Lines in device_maps can end with a `' to continue an entry on the next line. Comments may also be included. A `#' makes a comment of all further text until the next NEWLINE not immediately preceded by a `'. Leading and trailing blanks are allowed in any of the fields. The device_maps file must be created by the system administrator before device allocation is enabled. This file is owned by root, with a group of sys, and a mode of 0644. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample device_maps file # scsi tape st1: rmt: /dev/rst21 /dev/nrst21 /dev/rst5 /dev/nrst5 /dev/rst13 /dev/nrst13 /dev/rst29 /dev/nrst29 /dev/rmt/1l /dev/rmt/1m /dev/rmt/1 /dev/rmt/1h /dev/rmt/1u /dev/rmt/1ln /dev/rmt/1mn /dev/rmt/1n /dev/rmt/1hn /dev/rmt/1un /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/1bn: FILES
/etc/security/device_maps SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), deallocate(1), dminfo(1M), list_devices(1) NOTES
The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. SunOS 5.10 16 Jan 2001 device_maps(4)