Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help extracting MAC addresses from List Post 302162617 by Tytalus on Tuesday 29th of January 2008 12:37:55 PM
Old 01-29-2008
yeah - the short version would be:

Code:
grep 'N 0.0' *.txt | nawk -F'[()]' 'NR {print $4}' | sed -e 's/:/./g'

but legibilty/maintainabilty is never a bad thing :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac addresses of NICs (why are they the same)

I am training to be support on our solaris based network and was wondering why solaris seems to assign the same mac address to all NICs placed in the machine regardless of how many NICs are in there, when i do a ifconfig -a all nics have same MAC. Presumably this is a feature and there is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using Mailx to send to list of email addresses

Im trying to use a shell script to send to a list of email addresses in a txt file. Here is what i have tried but it keeps sending to dead.letter... Success.ksh contains... mailx -s"Night Batch Success" 'cat /Scripts/email_addresses.txt' < /Scripts/email_body_message.txt The email body... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aguad3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with IP and MAC addresses

Hi, i am working on a project where i have to write a script to find out MAC addresses of the systems with given IP address. Can anybody tell me which command i can use to find MAC address if you know IP address of the machine. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting email addresses from a flat file

All, I have a flat file which contains an email address in every line. I am trying to find a way to extract all the email addresses delimited by comma (,). Can you please show me a way, it will be very helpful, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sed_beginner19
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

analyzing list with street addresses

Hi List, Could someone please point me into the right direction with the following: I have a file containing a list of street addresses. I need to sort all the street addresses with the same number to a new file containing the street name and corresponding number. So: Strawinskylaan... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: M474746
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between Mac and IP addresses

If a web search is done on this topic there are many links but no information included in the documents. So my questions are; Why does a NIC card have it's own permanent ID. Why can't it share the host name? An ID is an ID. Why does a computer need two ways to ID it. If the network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting list of IP addresses into a grep command

Hi I have an input file with a list of random IP addresses, each on a new line. Below is just an example as I omitted the real IP addresses for obvious reasons. Input: random_ip.txt 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List Contacted Web Addresses?

Greetings. I'm in the process of tracking down an issue with Firefox, and need some way of gathering the actual web addresses which are connected to from localhost. The specific problem centers around the determination/capture of the exact generated app.update.url address formed by the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't see my mac addresses of my devices

I have a problem with a script , i want to see my devices there are up in my network. I want as output the ip addresses of the devices and also the mac address but I only had the ip addresses #!/bin/bash while ] do -mac) Extension=5 shift mac=$1 shift ;; esac... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roggy
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script getting IP's and MAC addresses

Hy over there, Lets make it simple :) Using a bash script, how to grep only the ip address and the mac address and put them in a file:. for example from the dhcp.conf file we got such things: The script will end up with two columns IP's and MAC adresses as it is showed below: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hermouche
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)